General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Christmas Trees.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 1 Dec 2022 12:57

Seeing that most of the tv programmes have Christmas trees.in the background, how do you decorate yours?

I have a sort through the baubles each year, and the ones that look a bit tatty I discard and buy one or two new ones. I put everything but the kitchen sink on mine ,things that have special meanings to us.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Dec 2022 13:41

That is how I used to do our tree MTG. Since my OH went into hospital in November 2020 and subsequently sadly died in January 2021 I didn't have a tree up in 2020 or 2021. However this year,because my original over 30 year old tree is up in the loft so I am not able to get it down, I have bought a small just three foot tree. Sadly most of the existing decorations are too large for this tree so I have used small baubles plus a few of the decorations that have sentimental meaning including the fairy which had been retired and replaced on the larger tree but her replacement is too big for this tree. The one on my titchy tree is 62 years old. So, it is a tree and is quite pretty but it makes me feel sad to look at it because it reminds me of all those years gone by that have gone now. I will slowly get used to it I know but grief is such a slow state to get through.

BUT I do still love Christmas and will enjoy it with my daughter and SiL and seeing the Grandson in that area and grand daughter in law,and the two great granddaughters. So not all gloom and doom. <3

Florence61

Florence61 Report 1 Dec 2022 14:08

My xmas tree is a very symmetrical one! I have silver and purple baubles which are all perfectly arranged alternately. I have pink and white lights arranged in a certain way and then a sprinkling of purple strands all over.

I also put 6 silver crackers in the middle to cover up a few bare patches.

The tree has always been my domain, I guess I'm very territorial, but I like it done in a certain way and it has to look perfect. I think I might have OCD or so my sil thinks as I can't bear anything to be just added at random!

When the children were young, I had to put their own decorations on which I happily did, but they have been relegated to the bottom of the box. I don't put them on the tree but wouldn't part with them.

Florence in the Hebrides

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 1 Dec 2022 16:10

We used to make a bit deal of letting the kids decorate the tree, and oooh and aaah over their endeavours.

Then when they went to bed, I took it all off, and did it my way.

They never knew the difference. :-D

Island

Island Report 1 Dec 2022 16:30

Same here MtG LOL. They'd stand right in front of it and pile the decs on in the same spot, never stood back to admire and adjust as they went along.
As kids, our tree and decs went up on the Saturday before the 25th, earlier if 25th was a Saturday. We'd sit at the kitchen table licking paper chains.
We gave our tree and decs to a young family about four years.
I don't bother now.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 1 Dec 2022 16:47

Are we terrible ladies, on the "ladder of participation", it was a zero!! :-D :-D :-D

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 1 Dec 2022 17:45

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Brings a tear to a glass eye, dunnit?

We still put our tree up, but not until about 15th, and it is the one we bought quite a few years ago from JL.

We have an ancient bauble that was part of a Happy Meal, that goes on, along with our angel that has seen better days.

Paper chains Island. Oooh that orrible glue. :-( :-D

Island

Island Report 1 Dec 2022 18:23

Didn't think about the glue at the time MtG but now I know it was animal based..... eee-yuk! Vegan paper chains?