General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How lovely

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 7 Dec 2022 10:00

Just seen a couple both 100 years old and married for 79 years have just died within hours of each other. They could not have planned it better I think.

Annx

Annx Report 7 Dec 2022 10:34

That's as good as it can be isn't it Ann. A long life and marriage and coming to the end together.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 7 Dec 2022 10:36

What a long married life together.

They would have so missed their spouse if one had lived on.

I went to a funeral yesterday of a lady, - a widow, who didn't quite make her 100th birthday. She was 99 and 10 months.
The family although sad, treated the day as a celebration of her long full life.

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 7 Dec 2022 14:25

How lovely that they had such a long life together.

Gwyn, I went to a funeral recently of someone in their 80's and it was the saddest one I have ever been to . The OH has severe dementia and only 3 family members were there and not a single personal thing was said about the person who had died . I left feeling so sad. It's lovely when a life is celebrated .

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 7 Dec 2022 14:28

That was a sad occasion JustG How awful.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 7 Dec 2022 16:03

Wow how wonderful and they obviously couldn't bear to be parted and now are together forever <3

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 7 Dec 2022 18:02

JustGinnie
How desperately sad that must have been.

Yesterday in the service, 2 grandsons spoke lovingly of the wonderful times they had shared with their grandmother. She had a great memory and had a very alert brain until the end.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Dec 2022 00:51

I also read that the couple who have recently died within hours of each other after almost 80 years, once said that they had never really had a row.

How many of us could say that???????????

I once met someone back around 1970 who said her grandparents had never exchanged a cross word, but then explained that at first the wife never objected to anything husband said, and did exactly what he wanted. After some years, they occupied the same house but lived independently and never spoke. They lived in a small village in southern England, and everyone knew about it.

My friend and her mother had lived with them or near them all her life until she came over here, so I'm pretty certain the story was true.