General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ambulances

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 Dec 2022 11:39

My ex husband - who lives alone - fell down his stairs on Sunday..
He was in great pain, was having difficulty breathing, and phoned for an ambulance.
He was told the waiting time was 14 hours!!!

He managed to phone a neighbour, who drove him to hospital.

After 3 hours, he had an x ray - he'd cracked a few ribs.

What if it had been worse? He was panicking because it hurt to breathe, and this caused further problems.

14 hours for an ambulance just isn't acceptable :-|

Strangely, our grand daughter wants to become a paramedic - but she can't afford the training.

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 7 Dec 2022 11:57

My BIL, who has a serious lung condition and is on trial drug treatment, collapsed recently. They waited hours for an ambulance, in the end his condition improved and they cancelled it! :-(

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 7 Dec 2022 12:03

That is outrageous beyond words, I hope he gets better soon, I am 100% sure it is the governments way of privatising the NHS.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 7 Dec 2022 15:00

That’s outrageous

When hubby was having fails at home and I struggled to get him up i was putting both of at risk and was told by the paramedics don’t ! Call us in cos we are trained

You think you will manage but sometimes you just can’t !
Hubby at one time fell as he got out the shower and was on the floor in the nude and a dead weight and no way could i get him up

So help to 101 and in fifteen minutes ambulance was then with paramedics who got him up and into the bedroom
Monitoring his vital signs were ok we don’t think he needs hospitalising but he needs to rest

He was i need a wee ! But he wasn’t, able so with a paramedic on one side and me on the other we held him upright and I held the bottle over his privates so he could wee

Dignity goes out the window when health deteriorates

Dread to think how hubby would have fared with amulance delays these days

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 Dec 2022 15:55

I agree with you, ZZzzz.
Doling the Ambulance service out to trusts is, I think, the start of it.

Our daughters have been in touch with him - he was sent home after the X-ray, even though he lives alone - he's still in a lot of pain, and groggy from the pain killers.
Fortunately, ex-wife number 3 lives not too far away, (he's in Essex) and has been providing soup!

He was due to go down to younger daughter's place for Xmas, but it's a long drive.
In fact, elder daughter, grandsons and I were going to join them for Xmas day, for a family gathering!

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 11 Dec 2022 16:18

We are in a very short and narrow road and we have always said that emergency services are welcome to block us in as nothing we do is more important than what they need to do.