General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A Brilliant Idea for Heating Bills

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 9 Dec 2022 16:14

I read about this earlier - I hope they roll it out across the whole country.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63707689

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 9 Dec 2022 16:31

I agree - a really sensible idea.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 9 Dec 2022 16:36

I read about this just recently but cannot see how it wouldnt affect all of us???
I mean, heating on prescription, so who will pay for it? The over stretched cash strapped NHS?

Wouldn't it be wonderful but I just don't know how it would work? During the winter my toes go purple as I have no feeling in them but I have some wide fluffy mules I can get on so keeps my feet warm.

But how would you distinguish between the cost of heating your home and say normal cooking use and appliances etc?? As your gas and electric dont break down what you spend each unit on, how can your whole bills just get paid?

I just don't get it or am I being a complete numpty?

Those that are severely disabled and need machines etc for their health conditions would already get the highest amount DLA/PIP. So would it apply to those at home all day who are unemployed?

Florence in the hebrides :-S :-S

Island

Island Report 9 Dec 2022 16:51

Florence, as I read it, it isn't for the unemployed who are at home all day.
It's for people who have conditions which are affected by cold and would see them admitted to hospital. I assume there would be a means test?
Perhaps having their bills paid by the NHS (if that's how it works) is more economical than hospital care - not to mention bed blocking and actually avoiding distress for the patient and dependant family.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 9 Dec 2022 16:58

It works because the cost of paying a fuel bill for someone is a fraction of what it costs to treat the same person in hospital. It gives them a life out of bed, frees up a hospital bed for someone and reduces the workload on GP's. Plus a lot of other benefits, all explained in detail in the article.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 9 Dec 2022 18:13

Ah yes Andysmum, your explanation makes it clearer and I understand it better.
So it would be only available to those that qualify with certain conditions which would keep them out of hospital?

Gotcha

Island

Island Report 9 Dec 2022 18:50

That's what I said Florence :-0 :-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Dec 2022 00:06

So this would be for people who, for instance, have dialysis at home.- which releases a hospital bed, and the fuel bill of the hospital.

Island

Island Report 10 Dec 2022 00:30

Not necessarily maggie. As I read it it's for people with chronic diseases who can't afford to heat their homes sufficiently to keep well out not need be admitted to hospital.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Dec 2022 00:32

Even better!

...but ridiculous that it's needed. :-|