General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The glory of moving!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Dec 2022 11:14

...apart from the Council failing to even notice, let alone remove broken asbestos tiles, before I moved in that is - the last tiles were removed this morning. :-D

Just had 'Kevin' on the phone, informing me that hackers are hacking my device.

'Kevin' was actually from my provider, rather than the usual 'helper' from Virgin.
I asked why, if he was the provider, he couldn't remove the hackers - apparently, it's because they're on my device.
I ask why he can't email me this information and how to remove it.
Apparently, he can't do this, as the hackers have hacked my email address.

I then ask him to provide my name, which he does.
Then I ask him to provide my email address - but he gives my home address - so doesn't appear to know my email address.
Unfortunately, for him, the home address he gives me is my old one.

I very politely inform him that, it's a shame, but his hacking list is way out of date, and suggest he just f off. :-D :-D :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 Dec 2022 11:36

Well done you

But these hackers are very clever and can suck people in with apparent true facts

I often say on Facebook seemingly innocent posts why are you asking for my first job etc
It’s phishing to get your profile

It’s alarming too how many people think it’s innocent

Florence61

Florence61 Report 13 Dec 2022 11:58

You tell em maggie :-D :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Dec 2022 12:07

I've just looked myself up on 192.com.
I always tick the box on the electoral form, stating I don't want my personal details published (otherwise it ends up on 192.com).

Obviously, I forgot to do this a few times at my previous address - 2002 - 2003, and 2005 - 2008.
Next time I get a potential spammer/hacker, I'll inform them their information is 14 years out of date! :-D :-D :-D

I never give my location on my laptop, which can result in some interesting 'local' news! :-D

It seems, after clicking on the weather symbol, that today, I'm in Farnham, Surrey.
Last week, i was in a place called 'Normandy' in Surrey - which (after googling it) I find is a small borough of Guildford on the Hampshire/Surrey border.
Once, I was in Reading - I certainly get around a bit, according to my laptop! :-D

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 14 Dec 2022 22:17

Even though I'm in Scotland, the internet often thinks I'm in Colchester.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Dec 2022 22:48

:-D :-D :-D :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 14 Dec 2022 23:07

I live in Bedfordshire and my laptop thinks I am in Northern Ireland for some strange reason :-S :-S :-S :-S :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Dec 2022 09:14

Had another call just now - from 'Max'.
I asked what address he had for the phone number (landline), he gave me a series of numbers - apparently that's my BT (I'm not with them) reference number.
I demanded to know the address, he reluctantly told me - yes, it was the old one.

I actually managed to (honestly) inform him his spamming list was 14 yea rs out of date - oh, and I didn't have the internet anyway. :-D :-D

Today, I'm apparently, just up the road, in Alton.
Interestingly, yesterday I was looking up a small village just outside of Alton.