General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Forgotten Dead

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 14 Dec 2022 11:21

I read a news item today about the body of a women that was discovered in a cellar in a house in Bromwich St, Bolton in 1982.

The women's body had been wrapped in newspaper dated 1966.
A man called John Baxendale was renting the house in 1982 when he made the terrible discovery.

So far they have never been able to identify the woman.

But surely they could check the electoral register for 1966? I mean if this chap was renting then they must know who owned the house and can check back on the deeds for clues?

The article is on the BBC news website. Manchester news

Florence in the hebrides

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 14 Dec 2022 12:32

Goodness me, I think it won't take long for the forensics to find out who she is and may she rest in peace now.

Kense

Kense Report 14 Dec 2022 12:37

Unless there are legal problems, they could get her DNA and see if it matches closely with anyone on s DNA family history site.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 14 Dec 2022 12:48

Well you would have thought that they have checked DNA but the article doesnt indicate it. They reconstructed what she may have looked like but noone came forward. One thought it was their mother that disappeared but it wasnt.

Surely the deeds of the property would offer a lead?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Dec 2022 12:55

I've just read this article, Florence!

They did a facial reconstruction in the 1980's, Someone thought it may be their mother, so they exhumed the body, took a DNA sample, and compared samples, but it wasn't the woman's mother.

Now they're trying investigative genetic genealogy .

Florence61

Florence61 Report 14 Dec 2022 14:44

Yes Maggie, that's the case.

Surely with all the new technology in DNA etc they will find something.

But what about the house where she was found? Who did it belong to in 1966?

Florence in the hebrides

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 14 Dec 2022 14:54

Are the police allowed to access the genealogy sites or are they restricted to matching from their own dna records?

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 14 Dec 2022 15:00

nameslessone, I hope they do have access to genealogy sites.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 14 Dec 2022 15:09

So I looked it up. As of a report in 2020 the police can only access the sites with a warrant. Their own dna records are said to be extensive. :-0

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 14 Dec 2022 15:35

Oh so it looks like the criminals get away with murder yet again.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 14 Dec 2022 15:38

I wonder if he had letters etc addressed to a woman, if he can remember her name and what he did with them.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 14 Dec 2022 16:33

Can you remember unusual post from 40 years ago - I can’t.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 14 Dec 2022 16:39

Well we have lived in this house from new for over 40 years so no I guess is the answer. :-)

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 29 Jan 2023 18:46

Dug this up to see if it has been resolved, I hope it has.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 29 Jan 2023 20:40

ZZzzzz, I had a look online but there is no new update since December so i guess it hasn't been resolved yet

Florence in the hebrides

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 29 Jan 2023 21:03

Ok, thank you Florence.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Jan 2023 21:04

Maybe she didn't live in the house, ie was a "visitor", so she would never have been on the electoral roll nor received mail.

Don't be in any rush to see news of her ID .......... it can take years to go through the genealogy group.

It has recently taken around 3 years for researchers with the Canadian military to ID relatives of the remains of a WW! soldier. His dog tag was with the remains but he had no close relations, none of his 3 sisters had children. They had to use maternal DNA, and had to go back to the great grandmother and then back down from her until they found a match.

That line of relations had never even heard of him, but are delighted to welcome him into the family and will attend the re-internment of the remains in France.

Maybe there will be something similar with this poor lady.