General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

royal Mail

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Dec 2022 16:00

If this is true and I can't see any reason why it should not be. This was on my face book today. Makes you wonder!

Royal Mail are NOT Losing £1m per day.
Royal Mail are LYING ??
Our postie has just sent me this, can you pass it on?? This is what’s really going on at Royal Mail so you can tell your friends…
They predicted a £500m loss but we made them £678m profit from working hard. They gave £600m to shareholders and the CEO and board members got HUGE BONUSES!
They implemented a 2% rise for us without negotiation with our union and offered us a further 1.5% for these changes…
- Sunday working for everyone at no extra pay!
- Our delivery supplement of £25 a week gone… which means a pay cut!
- No sick pay!
- All overtime to be time banked not paid! (I still have holidays I can’t take never mind overtime! I’m on a 28 hour contract and do 50+hours per week!!!)
- Forget our finish times… they want us to complete our rounds no matter what time ….
- Oh and start at 8 instead of 6 which means we’ll still be out at 6/7/8 o’clock delivering in the dark and you won’t get your mail till a lot later!!!
And today they’ve announced even though they’re making £1m loss a day???? They spent £14m diverting our Amazon parcels to Evri to deliver.. giving our work away… plus they’re offering our managers( who tried to strike a few weeks ago over t&c’s £1000-£1500 bonus if they work the 4 days we’re on strike!
You can’t make this up! But the press aren’t covering what’s really going on!
I love my job as a postie ?? but this is why we have to strike xx

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Dec 2022 16:20

Sounds about right to me.
Privatisation tends to result in shareholders wanting more, at the expese of tose who create the money - the workers!
Similar situation with the railway workers.

Those 'in charge' - both the owners, and the Government refuse to talk to the unions - hence the Government wants to get rid of them, then they, and their chums can treat workers how they like.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 14 Dec 2022 16:35

Sounds like a job I had where our bosses wanted us to do back to back 12 hour shifts, it was a few years ago, they wouldn't pay us for the second shift, I was one who told them my contract was for 12 hour shift not 24, there wasn't anything they could do about that. I went home.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 14 Dec 2022 18:17

I suspect the reality lies somewhere between the two versions. They are both speaking “their” truth.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Dec 2022 20:30

Vera yes true I don’t think any of them know what truth is.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Dec 2022 21:13

What we don't see on the media, are the other people who are striking:

100,000 civil servants
160,000 Post Office workers
70,000 people in higher and further education
40,000 rail workers
1,000 Security workers (border force)
10,000 NHS workers
10,000 ambulance workers
350 baggage handlers
etc

Barristers were on strike earlier this year - and the Government gave them a 15% pay rise, which makes you wonder why members of the NHS are considered by the Government to be worth so much less.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 14 Dec 2022 21:49

This evening I learned that one company found Royal Mail too expensive to use so used another courier who, I suppose you could say, sub-let some of its business to Royal Mail to deliver for that delivery firm - at a reduced price obviously. I asked myself why Royal Mail could not offer that reduced more competitive price and the only thing I could think of was that the bosses of Royal Mail wanted to run it into the ground so it could be taken over by another delivery firm and RM bosses and shareholders get fat, hefty payouts.

This kind of ‘fire sale’’ has happened before and it will happen again but although I think government should step in I am also realistic enough to think some rellies of MPs may well have places on the board and dollar signs for eyes at the moment.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Dec 2022 22:16

Fully agree, JoyLouise.
I'm sure we all remember the £billions given to Tory donors and 'chums' for PPE - even though their companies had had nothing to do with it, and much of it was useless.
The storage of this useless PPE is costing the country £2.2 million a week.

I'm sure this 'jobs for the boys' and money in the pockets of the self-styled 'elite' is still happening. After all, they got away with it before.