General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Spoofed telephone numbers.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 15 Dec 2022 12:10

Had another call today from Bank Security BUT the spoofed number was a local one so not so obvious.

Be careful.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 15 Dec 2022 13:04

If my landlines rings, I pick up and don't say a word until the caller speaks. if I don't recognize who there are, I just hang up without speaking.
You are right though names, sometimes they do use a local number as that has happened here.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 15 Dec 2022 13:09

That was the first one that I’ve had with my telephone code. They usually have an obscure ( to me) code.

I didn’t pick up yesterdays overseas call - when I looked up that one it was Tulsa, USA :-S

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Dec 2022 15:10

I always leave my phone on answerphone, very few scammers leave a message.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 15 Dec 2022 16:14

You are right about the messages. But as this was local number I may well have phoned them back as callers to the Volunteer Centre sometimes misdial our number. I alway do that when they leave a message for the centre - some of the callers are very elderly and somewhat confused.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 15 Dec 2022 17:10

Scammers from abroad can apparently direct their calls through a U.K. number so it looks like the caller is from the U.K.

If enough people report the number it gets taken down here