General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Smart meters again.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 22 Dec 2022 16:01

We have a letter today from our electricity supplier inviting us to have a smart meter fitted, we don't want one, there is no point because it is only for electric, we have bulk gas for the heating and we order that when we need a top up.
How else can we say we don't want one, don't need one, also it isn't the law that we have one.
Rant over again, thanks for letting me rant again.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 22 Dec 2022 16:21

Know the feeling!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Dec 2022 16:48

Had one when I moved here - otherwise I wouldn't have one.
Shame it doesn't work.

David

David Report 22 Dec 2022 18:37

I do wonder at times if the electrical suppliers understand "no thank you"

I have said that to EON so many times

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 22 Dec 2022 18:57

Someone or a company are getting undeserved bonuses for each one they get rid of but we get the grief of the things not working etc, and for what???? Nothing.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 22 Dec 2022 20:21

OH told our company to stop bothering us and it has calmed down quite a big.

It what really is worrying is the idea that we all have enough money to buy electric cars, buy heat pumps and pay for a y upgrade.
The hydrogen trial planned for Whitby is also worrying. Not just the use of hydrogen. But the need to buy new cookers, new boilers and so on and so on.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 22 Dec 2022 20:35

nameslessone, that is really worrying and bullying and harassment isn't it.

Cornish Susie

Cornish Susie Report 23 Dec 2022 11:06

We kept getting calls offering us one and patiently ( at first ) refused as we have 3 ft thick stone walls and can't even get a mobile phone signal indoors. Eventually we got thro to a 'supervisor' who managed to stop the calls.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 23 Dec 2022 12:00

We don't get calls thank goodness but letters or e mails from the electricity suppler in the end I will just have to phone them and tell why we don't need or want one.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 23 Dec 2022 15:00

Why bother replying at all, ZZzzz?
Just ignore their invitations.

As you say, it's not compulsory to have a smart meter.
It's also not compulsory to answer their email/letter.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 23 Dec 2022 17:18

My shredder will never be out of use!