General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Just watched the film 1917.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 27 Dec 2022 23:12

It helps us to understand why it was never talked about, I'm looking to see if there is a book about that film now.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 Dec 2022 00:09

It was amazing, wasn't it?

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 28 Dec 2022 00:15

It sure was, what they had to deal with was horrendous.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 28 Dec 2022 09:50

I watched it too but found it nowhere near as horrendous as the actual war. It showed dry trenches, fields with no craters and the war dead laying everywhere. A very disappointing vision of real life in the trenches.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 28 Dec 2022 10:28

I’ve not watched it yet but am surprised they showed dry trenches and flat fields. There is real footage out there showing the horrors and some great films over the years.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 28 Dec 2022 10:38

No filthy wet boots or uniforms either

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 28 Dec 2022 11:38

I’ve read some of the reviews which imply it a great cinematically made film but otherwise not that good.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 29 Dec 2022 10:10

I watched it last night. It was obviously summer, but there was water in the trenches, just not a lot.

Much of the fighting was over farm land. If bombs hadn’t yet fallen then the fields would be flat.

Was it a great film, I’m not sure.

It was influenced by memories told to Sam Mendes by, presumably, his grandfather. Would he have told him of the full horrors?

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 29 Dec 2022 13:13

It was set in the April of 1917 the start of the battle of Arras, the weather was really foul then as it was sleet and rain and snow. The ground was churned up by Artillery fired aimed at the German front line. How I wish film makers would get the facts right

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 29 Dec 2022 13:20

Well that proves they made it ‘pretty’. As the field at the rest centre at the beginning was full of wildflowers in full bloom.

I thought the battle field the two crossed at the start of their trek was quite well done. However, if they then crossed areas that have not undergone bombardment and troop movements then the land would be untouched.

Apart from it being tale from the memory of Sam Mendes ancestor was it ever said to be true to life?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 29 Dec 2022 13:22

I was caught up more in the emotion than the landscape!

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 29 Dec 2022 13:46

Might have been better if I hadn’t read the comments before I watched it.