General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Age 70.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 22 Jan 2023 15:33

I will be in July and will have to renew my drivers license then every 3 years after that, when hubby reaches 70 his PD doctor will have to say if he is fit enough, hay ho, it is going to be interesting......

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 22 Jan 2023 21:59

I have been renewing mine too since it expired after I was 70

They do send a reminder and I do it online

Will have to submit a new photo next time as I,m now white curly hair !

I,m 86 in March !

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 22 Jan 2023 22:16

Well done on being 86, hubbys isn't due just yet but he will be very fed up if he has to give it up.

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 22 Jan 2023 22:18

I've just renewed my licence for the first time for age reasons. They sent me a written reminder 3 months beforehand. I renewed online giving my passport and driving licence details plus my NI number. I didn't pay anything. My new licence came back within a week, I cut my old one up and sent it back to them as per instructions. They used my old licence photo.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 23 Jan 2023 00:05

It's age 80 here

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Jan 2023 00:20

I must ask my older siblings how any times they've renewed their licenses :-D :-D :-D

There are a few advantages to being a much younger sibling, - who doesn't drive :-D

Allan

Allan Report 23 Jan 2023 21:49

Same here, Sylvia, then it is an annual renewal.

Before that age licenses are renewed automatically every five years, although in some cases they have to be done every two years if you suffer from listed medical conditions; in my case diabetes. Usually just complete a very short form and give approval for them to contact your doctor if necessary and the renewal comes through

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 24 Jan 2023 00:04

Allan ........ OH has to go to the doctor every 2 years starting at 80, and demonstrate that he is still in full use of all his senses. The doctor then sends an approval (or denial) form to the Licensing authority who don't do anything if it is approved, OH just has to go to a Motor Licensing Branch and get a new driver's license with a new photo. Otherwise he'll get a letter from them telling what else to do ..... a driving test, eye test, give up his license.

If the doctor isn't sure, then OH can be called in to do a driver's test. That also applies if someone else (eg a family member) contacts the Licensing place. The test can be a road test, although they were using computers to test seniors ....... big problem there of course because many over 80s don't have computers, or have never played that kind of game on them, so many failed.

OH could also be called up to do a driving test at 85, which is next year.

I have noticed that he is a bit more cautious in driving, that he often talks to himself (eg, "take the next turn", "it's the turn after"), but we don't drive much out of our area or out to the university (something he has done since 1968). I'm certainly not organising any long drives or driving holidays!

Driving licenses have to be renewed every 5 years for people under 80, unless there is a medical problem. The driver has to go to the a Motor Vehicle Branch, get a new photo, check details, and then the new license is mailed. Renewal is liked to the driver's birthdate.

McAlp

McAlp Report 24 Jan 2023 11:44

Here is after 70 BUT every driver has to have a medical every 2 years
I had one this morning and the then Dr informs the SVA ( our equivalent ) of your DVLA. I don't have to do anything.
I passed so can carry on driving until 2025 whoo.
Ann

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 26 Jan 2023 13:37

Like grannyfanny I've renewed my licence. I did it online last Monday and received a new licence today.... quite impressed really :-)

Kense

Kense Report 26 Jan 2023 21:21

UK citizens will find it useful when they turn up at the polling station to vote.