General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Those Midget type flys.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 28 Jan 2023 00:20

Anyone else getting them now, we do but usually in the evening, don't know where they come from or how to get rid of them, any ideas please.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 28 Jan 2023 06:51

They are probably fruit flies. Do you have ripe fruit or tomatoes uncovered?

Cornish Susie

Cornish Susie Report 28 Jan 2023 11:26

Do you have any bulbs flowering indoors? I have several pots of hyacinths just flowering and keep noticing tiny flies around them - usually crawling on the soil or rim of the pot so I just dab them with a piece of kitchen towel - end of fly!

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 28 Jan 2023 11:50

Wasn't there a post a while back about small flies and it was suggested they might be drain flies.?

We sometimes get fruit flies in the summer, but nothing this time of year.
Newly acquired pot plants might be a strong possibility for what is attracting them or even a source.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 28 Jan 2023 15:07

I think it may have been me that posted it up before but I can't find it now and google isn't any help, :-S

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 28 Jan 2023 15:18

I wonder if you deleted it as I couldn’t find it either.

I also think they could be coming from houseplants. As they appear in the evening this could.be because you’ve put the heating on.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 28 Jan 2023 16:18

I Maxwell have deleted it thinking I had dealt with them, the house plants we have we have had for 2 or 3 years, so I don't think it is those, no fruit fresh or otherwise.
I may well have deleted it is what I meant.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 Jan 2023 16:39

Yes, I've been noticing them in the last few days, ZZzzz.
Maybe just one, or two, each evening.
I don't remember ever having them before.

A panful of boiling water poured down the drain once or twice a week seems to be the easiest of various solutions suggested per a Google search.

I've just treated my drain to some soda crystals and hot water, so will see what happens.

Mine are nothing to do with putting the heating on. I have old storage heaters, so the evening heat is, if anything, less than earlier in the day.
No new houseplants; no fruit lyng around.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 28 Jan 2023 18:21

Didn’t realise that they were in the kitchen again.