General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

DAVID

DAVID Report 29 Jan 2023 11:23

Morning all, just joined and was looking for information on my surname but it seems that the posts are not very up to date . Anyone got any tips please.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 29 Jan 2023 11:38

Welcome to the boards David.

What sort of information are you looking for? I notice from clicking on your name that your surname is Nugent. Have you started your family tree on here? If so how far have you got?

It is best to start with yourself and then go back to your parents and then grandparents and enter as far back as you can and if you can get back as far as 1939 there is the 1939 register you can look at for details of your family and then the 1921 census. If you don't have access to these add a reply to this thread and ask for help and someone will try to look things up for you.

Kath. x

DAVID

DAVID Report 29 Jan 2023 11:51

Hello Kathleen,
Thanks for replying, I have just started doing a tree so not much on it yet. I have paid for a month to try this site out so I possibly have access . My dad was born in 1912 so I can get back a fair way.

David x

Island

Island Report 29 Jan 2023 11:57

Welcome David. I'm not sure what you mean by 'the posts are not very up to date'?
Certainly there are fewer posts these days but there is usually someone ready to help when questions are posted.
I'm not sure if anyone uses GR for research as there are better resources, free sites even :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 29 Jan 2023 12:05

Although it is a shame your father missed the 1911 census it is possible that his parents were already married by the time the census took place. Knowing their names will help you work back through the census all the way back to the first in 1841.

The free website www.freebmd.org.uk will help you find various marriages, births and death back to late 1837 when civil registration began.

Another good free website is www.family search.org - but you do have to register.

If you get stuck post again and you will find lots of helpful people on here.

Finally, when you have a few names under your belt use the Search/ all members trees to try and connect with other members researching the same people.

Good luck and have fun.