General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Train tickets

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 5 Feb 2023 16:26

I think we all know the train companies are events.y going to stop a sector of the population travelling by train by going paperless but now there are plans afoot to shortly stop return tickets.
So the cost of train travel could go up enormously. Just looked at the current cost of a ticket needed in May and it could, potentially, add another 50%. Hope I’m wrong.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 Feb 2023 22:04

I've read that too!

So, we (the general public) pay for the upkeep of the trains
We pay pay for the upkeep of the railway system
We pay for the actual trains
The price of tickets goes up by a certain % every year

The companies who own the 'system' are paid any loss - by us
Now the trains are becoming unaffordable :-| :-|

Isn't privatisation wonderful (not)
The irony is, the firms/countries who own 'our' railways have nationalised railways in their own countries.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 6 Feb 2023 00:03

Gosh and I was hoping to travel to Newcastle and maybe London later this year. But I only have 2 arms and 2 legs. :-)

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 6 Feb 2023 09:45

LNER did a trial in January 2020, so before lockdowns but still a quiet month for travel.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 8 Feb 2023 10:14

Looks like it won’t be as bad as I thought, but I wonder how long that will last.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 8 Feb 2023 12:13

ZZzzz, I have no idea where your Newcastle journey begins but LNER was taken over by the DoT several years ago, as was Virgin. Trans-Pennine Express remains in private ownership I believe and the last time I travelled on TP it was just short of dire!

I am one who believes all of our trains, stations and lines ought to be government-owned. We used to have two privately-owned stations here, then one and I think that one has proved to be unprofitable now but I’d have to check its current status.

Edit: yes, the owner of the last remaining private station no longer owns it, it belongs now to Network Rail.