General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Neighbours Giving Me a Headache

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tawny

Tawny Report 7 Feb 2023 20:12

As the title says I’m ready to scream. I live in a cottage flat sometimes known as a four in a block. I live in one of the upper two flats in my block and all four flats are two bedrooms, have their own driveway, entrance and front and back gardens.

The neighbour who lives underneath me age wise I would guess as late 50s and she has 3 children a boy aged around 35 and twin girls aged around 34 and she also has five grandchildren. The grandchildren are lovely and never make a ridiculous amount of noise beyond normal laughing and giggling in the garden. Sadly the parents (neighbours children) are another matter and now yet again I can hear their conversations at times like now word for word despite my tv being on. One of the grandchildren aged around 8 needed disciplined today and I could hear every swear word under the sun used by the child’s mother. They do have their own homes but they never seem to leave and volume control is non existent. Help :-(

Von

Von Report 7 Feb 2023 21:03

Tawny
Many moons ago I lived in a house the same as you are now in Glasgow.

You are correct it’s sometimes not easy living with the sounds that you hear because

not only do you get the next door but the people below you as well.

I’m afraid I’m not able to help with a solution but you have my sympathies and I hope

the situation improves soon <3

Tawny

Tawny Report 7 Feb 2023 21:27

Thank you Von <3

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 Feb 2023 23:52

Tawny, I feel for you.
I have very good hearing.
I one side, 'P' asked if her noise disturbed me - 'P' has very good hearing.
At the age of 76,, she goes to bed well after midnight - because, she says, when a child, her mum made her go to bed at 7pm!
Our connecting rooms are our kitchens, and her bedroom, and my 'spare' room.
Yes, I hear her in the kitchen, but only if I'm also in my kitchen - when we're usually doing the same thing - putting things away - or in 'P's case - singing 'Fever!!
'P' asked me if her noise disturbed me, as she never hears a sound from me.

The other side, our living rooms and one bedroom 'connect'. 'T' and 'G' are brother and sister.
But, I swear they are slightly deaf.
'T' sometimes goes into the garden for 'private' phone calls, and I can hear every word - hers and the caller's.. I can also hear their TV, and if they talk in the living room - slightly muffled, but I can hear it.
The plus side is, they probably can't hear me - so I can go to bed with my radio on, and not feel guilty.

Island

Island Report 8 Feb 2023 11:55

For a while when we lived in a flat in a large block we were unfortunate enough to have the biggest, vilest mouth living below. Rows with her boyfriend(?) would start around midnight then it was 'love in the afternoon' with windows open for all to hear. No shame :-0 :-0
It wasn't too long before she was evicted for non payment, thank goodness, but not before she'd poured cement in the bath and basin. I think she liked a drop of the sherbet LOL

Tawny

Tawny Report 8 Feb 2023 11:56

Thank you Maggie.

They’re up and I can hear them again. Just the adults not the grandchild that is staying. The son’s ex girlfriend lives in Ireland but she comes over for holidays. I assume the school is on its half term break this week as my city in Scotland I live in is next week.

Your neighbours sound awful Island. We’ve only once heard plates getting smashed in the early hours.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 8 Feb 2023 13:42

When we first lived in flat ( newly wed) the neighbours below would knock on their ceiling if we dropped anything on the floor.

They called out the gas company when I was baking with yeast.

They came up and complained when we had visitors one evening, even though we were all talking quietly so as not to disturb anyone.

Tawny

Tawny Report 11 Feb 2023 11:31

They sound like a jobsworth namelessone.

My neighbour through the wall lives there with her in an identical two bed flat to me with her husband, two children and their new pet. They decided the best pet to get was a Black Labrador. This could be interesting.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 11 Feb 2023 12:03

poor dog Tawny not fair to have a large dog in a small flat. :-(