General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

More than one blast from the past.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 11 Feb 2023 13:51

Started with wishing my cousin a happy birthday, I was bridesmaid at his Mum wedding 1960s so I was sat here remembering stuff of the day. Then school memories of the late 1950s and early 1960s, all happy memories.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 11 Feb 2023 14:11

63 years this year,,,are they still around? <3

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 11 Feb 2023 14:30

I don't know about the other bridesmaids, I only knew their first names and that they were from Scotland, the bride is still around the groom past a few years ago.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 11 Feb 2023 14:32

I should hope most of them are, Bob!

I was at school in the 1950s and 1960s, and am definitely still around!
And hope to be so for another 15-20 years.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 11 Feb 2023 15:35

Tut, tut what’s the world coming to with cheeky young whippersnappers like you, Bob?

My OH and I were at school in the forties and fifties and we are still alive and kicking! Still dancing too. And not just the gentle ballroom kind of dance, either - so put on your dancing shoes, Bob … :-D :-D :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Feb 2023 19:14

I was also at school in the 40s and 50s, and still alive!

In fact, I recently found a site for my old high school, and am sharing memories with classmates and others on there.

Lots of memories being shared, about other classmates, teachers, etc.

The school moved into a brand new building in 1951, that is when I first went there, and it was demolished about 8 or so years ago. Should have been made in to a Community building for the housing estate that had been built around it during the last 20 years or so. Instead it apparently is a derelict site.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 11 Feb 2023 23:58

OMG - I wasn't at school until the 60's - neither was my sister.

However our brothers were :-D

My eldest brother - 73 this year, has spent the last 10 years renovating/rebuilding an old smithy, using reclaimed materials.
He's also - despite wanting to stop - busy making bonsai pots - apparently, he's 'one of the U.K.'s most established and well respected bonsai potters' (that's what a website says)
The marvellous - and beautiful - 'cascade' pot he gave me for my 60th birthday is filled with fake sunflowers - and one fake chrysanthemum :-D
Just like to say, that's the only birthday present he's ever given me.
My birthday is on 11th July his is on 12th, so we've never bothered exchanging presents.