General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Great !! Not

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 Feb 2023 09:55

So have just started to get out a bit and decided to attend a lunch last Monday with members of the U3A that I belong too

Used to do weekly coffee mornings and monthly meets pre covid and pre my surgeries and chemo

Had a really nice lunch and lots of chat and really enjoyed catching up with folks

Coincidentally the monthly meeting was wed afternoon for two hours and went there too

Was listening to the speaker and started to feel orf, had a tickly cough too but contained it

Later that evening talking to my daughter on FaceTime I said I feel unwell and got this cough so going to bed soon

Woke up Thursday morning and OMG I couldn’t raise my head off the pillow I struggled to the loo as was desperate and flung myself back in bed

Poor cat wanted feeding and to go out and I had to force myself to struggle downstairs later on to do it ,Thank god for the stair lift

I stayed down simply cos I didn’t have the energy to get off the chair

Later in the afternoon i though do a covid test and YES I was positive!!

Have been extremely unwell since then .only managed yesterday to have some soup and later a small Greek yogurt after not eating for two plus days

Sore throat that developed along with the hacking cough was the worse throat I think ever had and was swollen too so even swallowing liquid was painful

Now I have had 5 jabs as was considered vulnerable so had two boosters after the initial three plus I did have a flu jab so thought I was covered

Having been so unwell I,m omg how ill people must have been before the vaccines came out

No wonder some folks have been permanently affected with long covid

Still have the cough although it’s improved, the sore throat is subsiding but added another effect yesterday diarrhoea! Won’t go into details but meant a complete change of nighty ,dressing gown .booster seat cover ! And a struggle to the shower to wash

I must have picked it up on Monday as hadnt been out the week before or in contact with anyone

:-( :-(

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 12 Feb 2023 10:16

I would think your immunity is low Shirley after the chemo. Hope you feel better soon. <3

Von

Von Report 12 Feb 2023 10:20

Shirley. Hope you feel better soon. Take care <3 <3

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 12 Feb 2023 10:21

Oh Shirley, so sorry to read that you have had to face yet another big challenge.
I hope you steadily continue to feel better and are able to pick your strength up when you are able to eat more.

I had a routine hospital appointment during this past week.
A lady near my house was admitted there after a fall. After a week or so, she caught covid, so I wore a mask from the hospital entrance and throughout my appointment until I came out again.
I saw very few masks at all in there though, staff, patients or visitors.
Sadly it's still about.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 Feb 2023 10:24

Gwyn

Apppoinments at Maidstone still require to hand sanitise as you go in and and new mask put on

Staff all wear masks or face visors , well those that were in the cancer clinic were

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 12 Feb 2023 10:33

What rotten luck and after such a nice time.

I agree mask wearing is almost non existent yet covid just seems to be creeping up a little.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 12 Feb 2023 10:56

Sorry to hear about this Shirley. I hope you improve soon as you don’t need this added burden. It’s galling to catch it after having all the covid vaccines offered, I know, because I caught it last summer and was not clear until twelve days later. I stayed in and kept away from everyone so did not pass it on because we don’t know the health condition of those we stand next to outside - so someone, perhaps with a bit of a headache or a bit of a cough or sore throat and not wearing a mask has done you a disservice.

When my OH was admitted to hospital about a month ago every doctor in A & E wore a mask but not all of the nurses did so. The nurse who told us he was being taken onto a ward also told us that the hospital was full of covid and flu patients plus a sprinkling of viruses that they could not get a grip on (it was an unknown virus that laid my OH low).

She also told us that she was sick of seeing patients who had not had the covid or flu vaccinations because ‘they don’t believe in them.’ A strange attitude when you think of the billions spent on medical research! This was around 10pm so she’d probably had enough! (We have had our vaccinations by the way.)

You may be feeling more poorly, Shirley, but think how you’d be if you had not had the Covid vac; maybe not here to tell the tale. People have become more blasé about covid and flu, I think, and that can be a dangerous thing as those viruses are constantly mutating.

I hope it’s not too long before you feel better, Shirley. <3

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 12 Feb 2023 12:05

I’m so sorry to hear this Shirley. After all you have had to put up with Covid is the last thing you need. I do feel for you as OH and I both got it in October. We have no idea where we picked it up and we had both had 5 jabs. It takes a lot of energy to get better so take it very gently and rest all you can. I hope you are over the worst now and steadily improve <3

Florence61

Florence61 Report 12 Feb 2023 12:51

Oh Shirley, so sorry to hear how unwell you have been after you have been doing so well.
When my daughter had cancer, she had 9 rounds of chemo and once she came home after a year, she had to get reimmunized again just like a new born baby as her immune system had become zero. The chemo wiped out all her jabs.

So I guess although you have had all 5 jabs, I wonder if the chemo has reduced the effect somewhat?

I hope you improve this week and will soon be back to be able to go out.

In my local hospital, as you come through the door, you are handed a mask and sanitising lotion and all the staff wear masks still.

Can you drink some Lucozade or other energy drinks ?

Take care <3

Florence in the hebrides

Annx

Annx Report 12 Feb 2023 16:43

Oh you poor thing feeling so poorly Shirley and what bad luck getting covid now after everything else. Some honey and lemon may soothe that bad sore throat. I make my own to sip. I think you may have been worse without the jabs and hopefully they will stop you becoming more ill. The cough seems to drag on for some folk so rest as much as you can, keep warm and sleep when you need to help your body.

People have become blase about the virus and it annoys me when they walk right up behind you in a queue now and leave no space. We sanitise going in shops, but I've noticed very few do.

I hope you soon get over the worst and feel better.

Caroline

Caroline Report 12 Feb 2023 18:29

Sadly many don't think about how bad you'd be if you didn't have the vaccine and caught Covid, As Shirley says she's been very sick but she would have been much worse without the vaccine.
I've had Covid and was laid up for a few days and it played havic with my blood pressure so much so my doctor strongly advised mask wearing which I still do mainly as I'm around very young children aka germ factories every day.
Yes most will have nothing more than a heavy cold but it's people like Shirley you should be thinking of people who even with the vaccine can get very sick.
Shirley obviously caught it from someone with no symptoms, this is where a quick test before meeting up with a person known to be vunable is so easily done.
Hope you're fully recovered soon Shirley.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 Feb 2023 21:25

Thank you all

Well today I have felt increasing better as the day has gone on so hopefully I have turned the corner

Yes I dread to think how ill I could have been if not vaccinated

I was encouraged by my oncologist to have all the boosters offered and the flu jab etc

I have been so careful all along with always wearing a mask when going out but really was only essential appointments anyway as oncology wanted me to self isolate anyway in between appointments and scans etc

Now as only being monitored my oncologist said get on with you life and enjoy what you usually do .

So I was am going to get out a bit again

We were 16 in all and no one wore a mask and no staff either at the restaurant bar we went too .

I really am wondering who or where did I pick it up from but like getting a cold you have no idea

Hopefully now I.m on the mend :-D

Update
The lady I sat next too has also tested positive.she is on tablet and injection chemo at the moment for cancer and was in between rounds . She was told to get out and enjoy her normal life in between time

We think we both picked it up at the lunch and not from each other.

She had been told to stop her current cycle till the oncologist gets back to her

2nd update

The two people who sat next to her have also tested positive
They thought they had gone down with bad colds and even got antibiotics for the awful cough that developed

My friend contacted them as said you should test and yep they are positive too

We think it may have been staff hanging over us to put plates up and down as we were on the individual seats side whereas opposite were on benches against the wall and plates were handed over the table to be taken by the individual

As us 4 have gone down with it at the same time we think we were catchers not a spreader!