General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Rogue Roofers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BrianW

BrianW Report 14 Feb 2023 23:00

The roofing trade seems to be infected by scammers and get rich quick merchants.
Last year I got overcharged.

Our neighbours across the road got told that there was a leak round their chimney and ended up with a complete new roof despite the house only being built in 1974 (20 years after ours).

My son's mother-in-law got overcharged for a repair a year ago, it started leaking and the firm wanted megabucks to fix it. They put scaffolding up and spent a day buggering about up there doing nothing. My son told them to s*d off so they came to take the scaffolding down, my son checked the number plate on their van and it was on false plates.

So if you think you need any roofing done I would suggest get three written quotes and if you get told they have found extra work to do after starting the jod get a second opinion.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 15 Feb 2023 08:27

I would never have building/ repair work done by door knockers. But they are known to frighten people into accepting them.

Pays to go into the loft from time to time to check for leaks. After strong gales we always look up at the roof tiles.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 15 Feb 2023 15:26

We always use local builders. All have reputations for good work, come when they say and don't overcharge. It's one of the advantages of living in a village.

Names, we also check the tiles after gales - it's a regular occurrence, usually with heavy rain at the same time.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 15 Feb 2023 15:42

I always use our local tradesmen and also ask around if anyone has had work done by them. If they get a good report they get my custom. :-D

BrianW

BrianW Report 16 Feb 2023 22:53

The firm I used was registered with Trust a trader but it seems that they don't actually do any checking but just charge a fee for a firm to use their logo.