General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

For those who live in Canada

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 18 Feb 2023 11:52

I have just read this and was shocked. I thought those who are in Vancouver or Toronto might be interested - if you don't already know about it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-64547396

Caroline

Caroline Report 18 Feb 2023 12:21

Thanks I did actually know about this it was recently on our news. It seems unbelievable that it can happen but sadly it does. You'd think one of the neighbours would stay in touch with the owners even if they're abroad for a while but it seems not.
Another reason to ensure you have the correct insurance coverage.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 18 Feb 2023 12:22

Unfortunately that happens here as well.

We have our house registered it’s the Land Registry and should get informe if there is any action involving outhouse.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 18 Feb 2023 13:01

I don't understand this, how can the buyers get the keys? Do they ask where the sellers are? Is the property really for sale? so many questions unanswered.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 Feb 2023 13:17

Some years back there was at least one case in this country I don't think we ever heard what happened in the end.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 Feb 2023 13:22

I just googled 'houses sold without owners' permission UK?' And there is quite a lot of info.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 18 Feb 2023 13:33

There was a Vicar whose house was sold whilst he was away, last year I think.

I’m not sure if the original owners get their houses back as sometimes they are bought ‘in good faith’ and not as knowing if the fraud.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 Feb 2023 15:15

yes the vicar's story is on the internet, It doesn't tell you what the eventual outcome was but it was not a police problem it is a civil problem. Apparently you are more at risk if you have bought your house outright and don't have a mortgage on it as there is less likely to be so many searches done at Land Registry. One piece I saw was less than complimentary about the security of the Land Registry.

Caroline

Caroline Report 18 Feb 2023 16:29

My understanding is they pose as the sellers, whether they know the real owners ever I'm not sure. It might be a house-sitting situation hence they have keys, or they rent. I think a few of our cases involved Chinese families who couldn't leave China during Covid so they were away for a long time. Others involve foreign owners who had invested in property over here.
Once you've gained entry you use fake ID and sell the property, it can sell in less than 2 weeks hand over can be within weeks.
I believe if I remember correctly they were foiled when they try to access the funds from the sell.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Feb 2023 21:06

As Caroline says, it happens all over the world, and selling or renting your house or flat is the easy way for the fraudsters to get the keys.

There have been some cases where a property has been sold to several different people who don't find out about the other "owners" until too late.

The fraud also extends to renting properties they don't own. That has been more common here

AirBnBs are another way for a fraudster to get keys .............. book it for several days, put it on an online site as "for rent", lots of people turn up, he gets the deposit money, and then runs