General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Refund of direct debit

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 1 Mar 2023 13:57

This morning, I checked my bank as one does and got a surprise! In addition to the £67 from my electricity supplier, there was another credit for £100 from utilita.

This is the amount I pay on the 21st each month by direct debit.

I looked on the App and saw there was a message. It read this £100 is a suspended charge for an in house display unit???? Well I had one that didnt work and they sent me an updated display unit. The woman hadnt a clue what she was doing and that didnt work either so I left it. Readings were going through so there was nothing to do just carry on as normal.

i tel earlier and the lady said I had been over £400 in credit and so they just gave some back to me??? I had the last bill infront of me and said ,nope im £81.66 in credit end of jan plus £100 from 21 feb and the next bill is due now.

She insisted i was wrong!

However my neighbour popped in on her lunch hour for a quick coffee and she checked her bank to find also her d/d amount had been credited to her bank???

So have no idea why we have been given basically a months free electric unless someone can shed some light? Has the government given us another freebie?

Anyone else got a refund or with Utilita?

Not complaining, just curious

Florence in the hebrides :-S :-S :-S

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 1 Mar 2023 14:13

Could it be to do with this?

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2022/10/octopus-ovo-energy-pay-to-cut-electricity-use/

Florence61

Florence61 Report 1 Mar 2023 15:05

No AG, I didnt sign up for that.
My Feb bill is available around the 5th to view, so will have to see whats on it and if there is any explanation.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 1 Mar 2023 16:11

I don't know the answer to your query, Florence, but I had a nice surprise when Octopus told me my February electricity bill was - NIL! I had apparantly been given £200 by the govt. as An Alternative Energy Supplement, because my heating is neither electric or mains gas. I gather everyone who heats by LPG, oil, wood or biomass is eligible.

There should be enough to cover next month's bill too. :-)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 1 Mar 2023 16:42

Although sources (including the gov.uk site) say different things, in practice the Alternative Fuel Payment was paid to anyone living in an area which does not have mains gas.
The government has used blanket off-the-gas-grid areas, rather than individual household assessment.

This includes most rural areas.
My heating is all electric, but I've received the £200, because there's no mains gas in this area.
I know of many other people in the same boat.

I asked my electricity supplier about it, and they said it's nothing to do with them - they have to pay the money to all their customers who live in the areas on the list given to them by the Government

"The Government has decided which properties are eligible, providing payments to those not connected to the gas network, and so do not use mains gas. If you heat your home or business with electricity, you may well be eligible for this payment. "
https://www.goodenergy.co.uk/support/articles/the-alternative-fuel-payment/