General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Stamps to rise in price

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 3 Mar 2023 15:59

From the 3rd April 1st class stamps are going up to £1.10 and 2nd class to 75p.

All I read is that people are sending less letters but some Gov depts like the DWP will not accept emails so you have no choice but to send a letter or form back etc.

The service is awful, sometimes I don't get any mail all week and then on Saturday, I get a whole pile. This week, I received my telephone bill which normally arrives about 10 days before my d/d goes out so I can see the amount that will be taken.

I received it yesterday after the d/d had gone out. The bill was over 10 days old in date. So where has that been sitting I wonder? I am also waiting on a letter from DWP and the hospital, neither came today!

So I guess, I shall receive even less xmas cards this year so I had better start buying a few with my Tesco order and then by xmas, at least i will have a few instock and not feel it too expensive.

Florence in the hebrides

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 3 Mar 2023 16:06

...but will stamps you buy now, still be legal by Christmas?

Florence61

Florence61 Report 3 Mar 2023 16:12

Oh aye, not sure???Good question as i have a dozen stamps bought in the last few weeks.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 3 Mar 2023 16:22

They always have been before but who knows in these money grabbing, poor service times.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 3 Mar 2023 17:33

So long as they're bar-coded, or Christmas or collectable stamps, they'll be OK.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 3 Mar 2023 18:01

If, on the day, the post had arrived much later I would have gone out on in uninsured car. The letter I received to say my card hadn’t worked had a cut off date which was the previous day.

I’m still hoping that my remaining brother that still sends cards has actually sent me a birthday card. It is a week late - now do I send him one for the end of next week.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 Mar 2023 00:37

Send him one just in case his one to you hasn't arrived.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 5 Mar 2023 01:02

My understanding is that if it has 1st class or 2nd class it will still be ok as long as it doesn't have price on it. I don't know if it still works that way though.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 5 Mar 2023 08:46

Maggie - just got to remember to buy one.