General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

'father a soldier, birthplace unknown'

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 9 Mar 2023 17:58

Found on a census record for 1861. Written by the head of household. Couple married Jun 1846, child born Sept 1847, registered with both 'parents' names in their location.. Head of household described as a gentleman.

Wonder what went on there?

Island

Island Report 9 Mar 2023 18:04

Must have been something special to fill in the census form?
I assumed 'gentleman' meant wealthy with no need to take on paid work.
Any names? :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 9 Mar 2023 18:05

A foundling - adopted by the family?

Yes I agree, a gentleman would have a private income.

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 9 Mar 2023 18:48

George Sampson, a currier from Liversedge 1817-1892 and Mary Sharp 1826-1891

OH's direct line through their son John Richard Sampson. They eventually had a leather belting works. MIL and her siblings had a priviledged childhood.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 9 Mar 2023 19:20

I think Gentleman can cover a multitude of sins. I have an ancestor who was on the stage in the first half of the 19th century. He was well known in his day but theatre people were not generally well paid then and he came from a poor background and had no private income, yet he was described as a Gentleman on his daughter’s marriage certificate.