General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ged Com Error's

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Craig

Craig Report 9 Mar 2023 22:54

Hi All
Is any one having problem's importing Ged Com to the site.
Have tried many times, deleted my tree thinking everything would be okay.
The site contradicts itself by saying you need to delete your tree first and also you don't need to delete your tree before importing.
But NO KEEP GETTING ERROR'S. Have also been trying to contact support team with no luck, the reply's are as shown.
There was a temporary problem delivering your message to [email protected], about 3 times.
Trying to get them to explain where the line error's are in my ged com. I use FTM 19.

Craig

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 10 Mar 2023 08:23

So have you never been able to do this. Have nudged up your previous thread.

Kense

Kense Report 10 Mar 2023 13:00

If you run GEDCOM Validator it will tell you the line numbers of any errors.

Craig

Craig Report 11 Mar 2023 02:50

I have been reading about gedcom validator, does it tell you where in your gedcom the error's are other that just the line error so I know where to look.
Last time I imported a gedcom genes tried to say that FTM was at fault but no it was genes. How about support not responding to emails to help.

Craig

Kense

Kense Report 11 Mar 2023 09:19

No, it tells you what the error is, but that may not be helpful. The thing is that if it detects any errors (as opposed to warnings) then the fault must be with the FTM tree rather than GR.

I had a similar problem with an Ancestry produced GEDCOM which GR would not accept. I could not correct it on Ancestry as it seemed to be something I had deleted but part had been left in the tree somehow. However my FTM tree, which was synced with the Ancestry one, did produce a GEDCOM which GR was happy with.

If the email to Support does not work you may be able to send a direct message (it has worked for me but I haven't tried it recently). Click on HELP, then on contact us.
Then select the abuse option. A form will appear. Where it says abuse there is a dropdown arrow. Click on that, select Support and then fill in the rest of the form.

Craig

Craig Report 11 Mar 2023 20:13

Okay have done that, now just to wait for a reply,

Craig

Craig

Craig Report 12 Mar 2023 06:55

Hi All
Genes Support never replied at all. Tried 3 times to import my file with no success.
BUT
I sorted it out myself, this is what I did.
1. Opened FTM 19 File
2. Made a Ged Com of it.
3. Opened Ged Com with FTM 19 got 22 warnings.
4. Compacted File/ Extended Annalyser.
5. Then imported to Genes.
When compacting file it made no difference to size and no data loss.
The details on compacting said it may fix error's or not and it cleans the file also.
NOW iI can see my tree, really worried for a while.

Craig

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 12 Mar 2023 07:48

Craig, you will never get a quick response from Genes, even on a weekday. They don’t appear to work over the weekend.

Good that you have managed to get it sorted yourself.