General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Murphy's Law ................

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 20 Mar 2023 16:13

............ although my Dad had another 4 letter word for it sometimes, beginning and ending with "s".

An appointment is set up for a technician to come to sort out some problem "between 8 am and noon on Monday, and he will phone one half-hour before he arrives".

That means being compos mentis to hear the phone ring at 7:30 am

Knowing you find it hard to wake up, you set the alarm for 6:30 am ..................

despite knowing that the Law means the call will come around 11:30 am or noon. :-(

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 20 Mar 2023 20:04

The s**s Law was pretty accurate

......... the phone call came in at around 11:45 am. Man arrived about 15 minutes later'

He replaced a magnet in the patio door, and the Security System works once again!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 20 Mar 2023 23:34

:-D :-D :-D
It's always the way!

I have a grocery delivery tomorrow, between 9am and 11am.
I'll need to be 'compos mentis' by 8 to find out exactly when it will be delivered.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 20 Mar 2023 23:57

Good luck!!!!

Florence61

Florence61 Report 21 Mar 2023 12:48

Yes Maggie, same here and I bet it wont be delivered until 10.55 after you have been up so early incase they turn up at 9am!

Today the bin lorry was an hour early! recently they have changed their route and not arrived here until around 12.30-1pm but if i had left it until 12 to put them out, I would have missed them..S**S law isnt it!!

Island

Island Report 21 Mar 2023 15:08

What's the problem with typing 'sods law'? If you say it, type it.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 21 Mar 2023 17:46

Island as Sylvia didn't actually type it, I thought maybe wasn't allowed else someone report me for swearing!

Btw, what is your avatar?

Island

Island Report 21 Mar 2023 18:37

I like to think those who report things are no longer here Florence. I don't see sod as a swear word, isn't it a clump of earth?

Avatar is a weaving on a 5" wooden loom.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 21 Mar 2023 19:58

I didn't type it because I thought someone might have an itchy finger!

Remember when Middlesex and Sussex were naughty words????

Island

Island Report 24 Mar 2023 15:58

Who? :-S

No, I don't remember Middlesex and Sussex being naughty words :-S

There must be some very sad folk about :-0 In which case, I'm surprised 'Murphys law' is 'allowed'. Could be construed as 'racist' :-0 ;-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 24 Mar 2023 16:43

:-D :-D :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 25 Mar 2023 07:45

I think it goes back to the days when the computer at GR was set to pick up certain words (parts of words in Middlesex and Sussex) and would delete the post and give out bans.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 25 Mar 2023 11:15

~ if you happen to be in the outside lane of a traffic queue and intend to drive straight on.....when the lights turn green ,invariably the car in front of you suddenly decides he needs to do a right turn at the junction...

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 Mar 2023 10:19

When you join the shortest checkout queue -
there's sure to be someone ahead of you whose card doesn't work, or who can't find the right coins, or who has an item in the trolley which doesn't scan at the till, so that the operator has to call for a manager to come and sort it out.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 28 Mar 2023 10:40

Very true AG, happened to me numerous occasions, then you wish you had just stayed put lol

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Mar 2023 22:19

when you think your turn has finally come to be next in line for the bank teller ............ only to discover that the person in front of you has a HUGE amount of financial dealings to do.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Mar 2023 22:24

I'm not sure what this comes under ...........

I had a phone interview with my doctor set up 3 weeks ago for 3 pm this afternoon.

Yesterday the Receptionist phoned to say it had been changed to 10:45 am this morning.

OH took a phone call at 10 am, the appointment was changed to between 2-3 pm this afternoon, but it will be one of the senior doctors ............ my doctor counts as a juvenor and spends afternoons in emergency wards at local hospitals. Part of his training to be a fully qualified Family Doctor, in case he ends up in a very small or remote place.

It is currently 2:25 pm, and I'm waiting!!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Mar 2023 23:16

.... and she called about 2:30 pm :-D