General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Well how stupid.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 20 Mar 2023 17:38

I was to tidy a cupboard and put things where they are supposed to be, how do I think things would be found?????? My guess maybe it should come out waving a flag saying coo wee here I am. :-D :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 20 Mar 2023 17:42

:-D :-D :-D. Put tidy never to be seen again

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 20 Mar 2023 23:37

Aaah - the annual cupboard clean :-D :-D :-D

What is that? Oh, yes, I remember, better put it in this drawer now.
I've never used it - but you never know when it will come in handy :-D :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 20 Mar 2023 23:59

..... and then it multiplies in the drawer, somehow!!!

I got rid of a lot of kitchen items that I had but would never use again, sent them to my daughter when we reno'd the kitchen back in 2011

So why are my kitchen drawers now full of similar items, so that I can't find what I really need????

Florence61

Florence61 Report 21 Mar 2023 12:44

I have plenty of drawers filled with things for the "Just in case". When i have ever been away, I pack things in my suitcase for the "just in case" and hardly ever use those things but.... I always take a mini first aid kit, plasters, savlon and the like.

I have about 6 small torches for the power cuts but probably only use 2 of them.
Whilst clearing the hall cupboard completely last week, i found about 6 balls of string!!! Daughter bought them as they were reduced to 20p in a sale :-D :-D :-D

I do declutter probably every other month but quite a lot goes back in those drawers for the "just in case." One should always be prepared for the unexpected except when we retidy, when that unexpected event occurs, we can never find the item can we? :-D :-D :-D

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 22 Mar 2023 12:59

When I was tidying things in the shed after my husband's death many years ago, I discovered that he had 27 screwdrivers.
And stacks of packs of assorted batteries, mostly well out of date.

Like you, Florence, I always pack far too much when I go away anywhere, even just for one night.
I blame my Guide training - "be prepared".

By contrast, my student grandson recently went to America to stay with a friend for a couple of weeks. He only took hand-luggage, which was almost empty, because he only took the clothes he wore to travel in (bought more from charity shops while there), and virtually no toiletries because "they have shops in America, you know!"

Florence61

Florence61 Report 22 Mar 2023 13:10

AG, oh my just hand luggage??? When I have been away in the past for overnight, I take a cabin bag on wheels. When I was down south a few years ago, I bought so much, I had to buy a new suitcase to come back lol. And yes I take all my own toiletries.

Yes "always be prepared" was drummed into me when I was young and its stuck with me all my life. But you cant go wrong with that can you. Nothing worse than being caught out in a situation and suffering.

When going away say for a week, I put enough underwear for the 7 days plus 3 pairs extra, incase of delays etc. I can never travel light, never lol

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Mar 2023 13:22

Even when staying with my children in this country in their homes, or travelling on holiday with them in UK, I still pack far more than them. I even take a basic first aid kit despite the 'there are shops where we are going'. Yes but who do they come to when pain killers, antiseptic cream or plasters are needed. I hear "Mum have you got...." I suppose habits never die.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 22 Mar 2023 13:33

Very true AnnG.

When I was married, the inlaws frequently called at my house knowing that I always had what they needed. Never understood why they all didn't have first aid kits in their own homes and a supply of paracetamol etc But whatever they took, they never replaced or paid for it!!

I sometimes felt like the local chemist lol

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 22 Mar 2023 13:49

Although I am not minimalist, I only take what I need for the duration and as wherever you go shops are open and ready to take your money. ;-)

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 22 Mar 2023 13:58

I don't go by use by or consume by as cynical me thinks it is just wasteful and bumps up profits for the greedy.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 22 Mar 2023 14:31

Joan, I would use the older tins unless they were rusted, 'blown' or dented.
The whole idea of tins was to preserve food.
Having said that, I wouldn't serve anything out of date to anyone without them knowing.
Daughters both think the same as me, so they would happily share a meal prepared from said items.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 22 Mar 2023 17:07

I have eaten tinned fruit that was 2 years old. Was at the back of a cupboard and i found it clearing out. I opened the tin and tasted a bit and it tasted just same as when i bought it.

I dont eat meat, but if i did, think i would be wary of eating it after use by. Sauces like ketchup and brown sauce keep for ages and ages unopened.