General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Self checkouts.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 21 Mar 2023 15:02

Does anyone like them or like us and refuse to use them. We don't want to be part of making staff redundant.

Island

Island Report 21 Mar 2023 15:06

I refuse to use the too Z for the same reason plus eyesight issue.

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 21 Mar 2023 15:28

I use them all of the time at our local Tesco. It speeds up my shopping so much. I hate having to unload a trolley full of stuff onto a conveyor belt only to have to pack it all up again. I prefer to be able to walk around and zap the products and put them into my bags in the trolley. Before the self service tills were put in, there used to be ridiculously long queues down the aisles. Now, I can speed up my shopping and it means those people who want to do it the old fashioned way, don’t have to queue for so long. I don’t know where the idea of making people redundant comes from as the remodelling didn’t take away any tills, just added the extra self service area and more jobs to cover them.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 21 Mar 2023 16:18

In my opinion there is no need self check outs, what it does do is as I said make staff redundant, increase profits and the customer doesn't gain anything.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 21 Mar 2023 17:16

I hate them and always avoid them, having tried only twice when I had no other choice.
Both times the machine objected to things I'd done or not done, and I had to ask for help. Embarrassing and time-consuming.

I'd much rather wait in a queue and interact with an actual person.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 21 Mar 2023 17:21

I have been known to leave my trolly behind when told there is only self checkouts available, can't imagine why :-|

Florence61

Florence61 Report 21 Mar 2023 17:38

Ag, same, anytime I tried to use them, there was always a problem and then had to wait for a member of staff to sort it out. Much quicker at a normal till where i can at least have a small conversation with a real person.

Island

Island Report 21 Mar 2023 18:43

Also, it's nice to have a chat with others in the queue while waiting. You can't beat community spirit :-D

Florence61

Florence61 Report 21 Mar 2023 20:31

In my local supermarket, many people go as a social outing because its the one place you are sure to meet people you know. for those that live alone and rarely have visitors, the supermarket can be a lifesaver for loneliness. :-D

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 22 Mar 2023 10:21

I'm with Linda on this, I like self scan. I agree it was initially a bit of a nightmare but now I'm use to it, I much prefer it :-). Especially if I've only got a few items, I don't need to stand in a long queue for ages

They normally have at least four people in the the two self scan areas so I can't see that anyone would have been made redundant :-)

There are normal tills too for those that wish to use them, so whichever form of checkout you wish to use they are available

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 22 Mar 2023 10:51

I rarely use a self service till. But when I do I probably have more interation with the staff than the one on the ordinary till ;-)

When using the ordinary till I don't like having to clamber on unit to get hold of my shopping which the till operater can't be bothered t put within reach. A lot of them can't even be bothered to push the seperaters down the line. I've seen them put them beside their till because they is no room because they haven't shunted the other ones down.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 22 Mar 2023 11:36

Oh, yes, Names - that can be very annoying, not being able to reach the shopping or separators.

On the other hand, it's a good stretching exercise!

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 22 Mar 2023 12:38

As long as it is not a stretch too far. Ouch ;-)

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 22 Mar 2023 12:43

I use the self service in Sparkles cos that is the only option. They are very easy to use and I can generally dash in and out which suits me when I only have a few bits and bobs.

I usually go to the mainline when I use Wrose as that is where I do my big shop. I know most of the girls there so we have a natter while I pack my stuff.

I do agree with Florence, for some people, it maybe the only person who they speak to in a day.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 22 Mar 2023 13:20

We did a survey once in school about the pros and cons of online food shopping. Was interesting as the children pointed out that whilst for disabled people, home delivery was a lifeline, it also made people lazy and stopped going out. This in turn could actually isolate people who choose to stay at home and get a home delivery.

Walking around a supermarket especially for elderly once a week is actually good exercise as opposed to sitting in the house all week alone.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 22 Mar 2023 16:18

I still have online grocery deliveries. I began doing so in the 90s but when I finished work I decided to shop in person even though I don’t like trailing around for food. When lockdown came I returned to online shopping so I’ve stuck with it but I do pop in for a handful of items some weeks when they have not been available online.

I use self-service tills when there are queues at the normal check-outs. The only drawback (and something which caught me out initially) is if I have bought alcohol and I have to wait for an assistant to verify my age.

Our local, recently opened Iceland Food Warehouse gives 10% off for pensioners on Tuesdays. The assistant has to see proof, usually driving licence, bus pass or similar. The first time I went through the check-out she took only a look at me and gave me 10% discount. I didn’t know whether to thank her or feel affronted … :-D ;-)

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 22 Mar 2023 17:13

Other shops could do the pensioner discount thing, 10% discount is a lot if you have limited income.

Caroline

Caroline Report 25 Mar 2023 19:58

On principle I don't self check out, they don't give me a discount for doing the work!
All it does is increase the massive profits the food retailers are already making.
Here we've seen reductions in the number of people employed in check outs or at least in their hours. These are people already on low wages.
I like talking to the check out ladies they have all the gossip :-D
I don't have to pack my own bags either in the stores I go to, but if I did self serve then i would also do that for free as well!!

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 25 Mar 2023 20:40

Oh Caroline, you’ve just reminded me of the first time I shopped in a British supermarket after spending many years overseas. I did a big shop - oblivious to the foodstuffs piling up as they were put through the till. I had completely forgotten that in the UK none of the supermarkets around here packed for you and I had got used to packers when I lived overseas.

The only time it differs is when it is bob-a-job week and p scouts pack and you can choose whether or not to give a donation.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 25 Mar 2023 21:33

JoyLouise, I happened to go into Iceland on a Tuesday, and heard the people in front of me mentioning the discount (which I didn't know about), so I tried it, and, like you, the cheeky cashier didn't ask me for proof of age :-(