General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Postal deliveries

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 25 Mar 2023 13:49

Have any of you noticed a change to the frequency of your postal deliveries?

Even though the strikes are over, I only seem to get post maybe once or twice a week. Some letters are dated over 10 days old. For example my telephone bill is paid monthly on the 29th of each month by d/d, I used to receive the bill around the 21st to notify me of how much the d/d would be.

Last 2 months, the bill has not arrived until the 4th of the next month?? I tel my broadband company to see if they had changed their dates and they said nothing had changed.

So why are the Royal Mail holding on to letters still and not delivering them as they get them? I also checked to see the meaning of a 1st class stamp and it states " first class does not guarantee next day delivery but normally within 1-3 days."

When did that change? Always thought 1st class meant next day delivery.

My elderly father has also noticed his mail only being delivered about every 10 days with an elastic band around 6 or 7 items and delivered on a Saturday. he actually missed an eye appointment recently because he didn't get the letter on time.

What on earth is going on because its not acceptable is it?

So if you are experiencing the same problems as myself and my father(900 miles away) what area are you in?

Florence in the hebrides

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 25 Mar 2023 14:08

Strangely if I had seen your post last week Florence I would have agreed with you but this week I have seen our postie most days. Not always in the morning and sometimes quite late afternoon but not many days missed.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 25 Mar 2023 14:11

We are getting a daily delivery though I have noticed that 2nd class sometimes gets here quicker than 1st class. Had a letter today that was posted 2nd class yesterday.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 25 Mar 2023 14:18

Can't say I've noticed any difference but I will check it out the next post we get.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Mar 2023 14:39

I have had to chase the hospital several times for an expected appointment for a scan
My records show it’s booked for the 29 th March but no letter received

I feel I was being fobbed off two weeks ago when I chased by them saying it’s been sent so in the post

But there’s no recent postal strikes and I have been getting mail

So chased again on the 21st and was told it was sent first class but they are getting feedback from people not receiving appointment letters

I said send again and :-( it arrived yesterday dated 21st

Soo who to believe

As I said to the lady I wouldn’t have known about the appointment if I hadn’t chased !! :-(

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 25 Mar 2023 14:40

I live 10 mins away from our local sorting office so our post has not changed . Sometimes the times vary by an hour or so ether way but postie is out and about everyday. Perhaps as I live in a city we are not as affected as smaller places are, It is very annoying though when you miss appointments as sometimes you get crossed off the lists.

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 25 Mar 2023 14:48

We too live about 10 mins from our local sorting office.

We are only getting letter post about once a week.

However, posties are pushing those red carts delivering parcels most days.

So, either the letters are being held back...........or no-one loves us. :-D :-D

Florence61

Florence61 Report 25 Mar 2023 14:58

I guess it varies from area to area. I had to get something back to the DWP quite urgently recently and they would not accept me photocopying the info and emailing to them, it had to be sent via Royal Mail!!

I have yesterday sent my niece her birthday card, ist class, her birthdayis.....4 April, i sent early so will be interesting to see when its received in kent.

The only other thing I thought was maybe they have less staff who only work part time say 4 days a week so some days, they have no delivery staff?

Shirley, I have had that too and yes who do you believe?

So if 1st class stamps take 1-3 days, does 2nd class take a week? We have no 1st class as such here as all post sent to another area but in the same postcode is normally delivered next day regardless of which class you use because its local.

I did ask my postie once, why no post all week and then lots of Saturday, but they didnt know why or didn't want to say!

Funny because today, we only received 2 letters, one for me advising of my rent increase ( dated 23 mar)and the other telling daughter she was getting a rise in her benefit lol I had better consider raising her housekeeping me thinks!

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 25 Mar 2023 15:18

Ours is unchanged. Delivery times vary a bit but that is due to the number of houses the postie has to visit, as most of them are up long drives. Personally I never buy 1st class stamps as I don't think there is any difference in delivery speeds!

I think (but I'm not sure) that Royal Mail parcels and Royal Mail letters are now two separate departments, although the postie still brings small parcels.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 25 Mar 2023 15:42

I am sure at some stage they said all mail posted on a Friday was treated the same whether with a first or second class stamp.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 25 Mar 2023 15:51

Some time ago it was really bad,once every 7 days or so, anytime up to about 4.30

Lately it has been much better And morning deliveries. At the rate they walk we probably live some way from the sorting office, but in reality it is about 10 minutes.

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 25 Mar 2023 16:38

We get very little post now as insurance, credit card, utilities are all paper-free. I have a regular magazine delivery on a Friday. Before we moved, it had got very hit and miss for the last few months, but here it's been fine.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 25 Mar 2023 17:02

Our sorting office is only half a mile from us but our post is awful. :-| :-| :-|. It is usually none for quite a few days and then loads all in one go.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 25 Mar 2023 17:16

I don't see our postie very often now. Even if there is no post for me I would see the postie in the street.

I'm waiting for a second class package that was collected by Royal Mail on 15 Mar and still hasn't turned up :-| If it hasn't turned up by Monday, the company will refund me.

I'm sure I read somewhere that certain postcodes have been affected by staff absences and they gave a list of postcodes but I can't remember where I saw that, it was only last week :-0

Florence61

Florence61 Report 25 Mar 2023 18:12

Ty for all your replies so it would seem there are problems all over and not just in one area, how interesting.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 25 Mar 2023 22:25

I posted a card second class yesterday and it got there today, not local either.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 25 Mar 2023 22:34

I'm seeing my postie every week day between 12pm and 1pm.

Edit: Venetian blinds are wonderful for seeing what's happening - without being seen!
:-D :-D :-D

Kense

Kense Report 26 Mar 2023 07:27

Since Christmas I haven't noticed a problem with deliveries, however the latest collection time on the nearest post box recently changed from 5pm to 9am.

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 26 Mar 2023 08:18

Normally our mailman delivers every day, but this week I have only seen him twice. That is annoying because my son in law ordered two cards from Moonpig so the girls could have a card each for their mum’s birthday on Monday. They were first class and should have been here on Friday. They haven’t turned up so I will have to go to the supermarket today to buy some.
I read that if they are short staffed for any reason that they have to prioritise the delivery of parcels and leave the letters behind.