General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

This Isn't Really Funny - But --

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 26 Mar 2023 12:28

The underlying reasons for this should be sorted out, but it had me in stitches and I thought it would cheer you all up.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-65079574

:-D :-D

Florence61

Florence61 Report 26 Mar 2023 13:51

Andys mum, I have never given any thought to other countries etc and how the change in an hour can affect different things!

I have a friend who works 12 day and night shifts and really loves it when they are on a night shift when the clocks go forward as their shift ends an hour earlier :-D

But arguing over fasting etc.... what next

Island

Island Report 26 Mar 2023 14:37

Seems daft. Sunset isn't ruled by the clock so we're all pretty much conned LOL

My kitchen clock stayed on 'summer time' all through the winter.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 26 Mar 2023 17:43

If the SNP get things their way we could end up like this.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 26 Mar 2023 17:54

Was it changed because of WW2?

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 26 Mar 2023 17:59

A bit earlier ZZzzz

............The ritual owes its origins in the UK to the first world war. The annual changing of the clock by an hour was first established more than 100 years ago under the Summer Time Act 1916, with the thought that lighter evenings might preserve fuel for the war effort. ..........

I vaguely recall that they tried not changing one year ... approx. end of 1960s / early 1970s and I remember it was really dark in the mornings :-|

BrianW

BrianW Report 27 Mar 2023 07:07

Yes, the experiment was to keep Summer Time all year which made winter mornings darker, foggier and colder.
I was travelling to work by motorcycle and it made it much more dangerous (and unpleasant).
It also makes it later getting dark in the evenings so it's harder getting children to bed.

GMT is the natural time zone for the UK and we should stick with it all year.

I get very annoyed when the clocks change as not every clock and timer change automatically so some of ours have, others haven't, even some that should as they haven't picked up the signal yet, and I spend ages going round resetting things.

Also, we are now up before the solar panels start producing so it is costing us to import juice from the grid to make the morning cuppa.

Oh, and the dog's confused as well, he's got us up with a bark the last two mornings whereas he normally doesn't stir until we come down.

Island

Island Report 27 Mar 2023 11:10

So get up 'later' Brian :-)
Assuming you're retired, why live by the clock?

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 27 Mar 2023 12:08

During WW2 we had double summertime. I can remember lying in bed at about 10pm listening to my father mowing the lawn! I don't remember very dark mornings, but they must have been. It was intended to help prevent road accidents, as there were no street lights or shop lights and everywhere was pitch black.

I do remember the year mentioned by Gwyn. The Scots made a great fuss and now that I live here I can understand why. In the winter here it is dark until about 8.30 and further north even later. With permanent summertime it would be dark until about midday.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 27 Mar 2023 14:41

I'm glad you explained how it affects us in Scotland, Andysmum.

Before I retired, in the winter I only saw my house in daylight at weekends.

BrianW

BrianW Report 27 Mar 2023 16:38

Island,
I might be retired but we have a semi-disabled daughter to give medication and meals at set times and when we are Puppy Raising a Guide Dog puppy it needs feeding and toileting to a schedule.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 28 Mar 2023 17:30

BrianW, Im with you on this as I have an autistic daughter who needs her regular routine & structure so the clocks affect her sleep pattern too. She is also a type 1 diabetic and meal times have to be exactly the same time every day otherwise we have a big problem with her sugars.

It takes several days to settle after the clocks change.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 28 Mar 2023 18:12

I once worked for someone I call ‘the dodgy doctor’. I had to do the early shift one day and wondered why no one was ringing in on a Monday morning and got told off because there were free appointments dotted around that morning. Well, I had no idea that the phone system clock hadn’t changed. I never found out whose mistake that was.

Island

Island Report 28 Mar 2023 19:29

Brian, I understand what you are saying but wonder why you change the full hour if it upsets routines - that is why I put later in inverted commas.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 28 Mar 2023 19:44

A bit difficult to do when everyone around you is working to a different time.

Island

Island Report 28 Mar 2023 19:45

:-S :-S :-S

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 28 Mar 2023 21:41

Babies these days tend to be fed on demand, but when I was born it was the practice to feed a baby every 4 hours. I was born in September so the clocks went back when I was about 6 weeks old. I remember my mother telling me that she changed my feeds by 5 minutes each day until they were "on time" again! What a palaver!! :-(