General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Easter eggs.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 6 Apr 2023 21:34

Anyone NOT having easter eggs, for a change won't be and treating it like any weekend.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 6 Apr 2023 21:35

No eggs, but there is some chocolate in the cupboard.

Allan

Allan Report 6 Apr 2023 22:20

No eggs (chocolate variety) for us

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 6 Apr 2023 22:25

We won't be either, but we have bars or chocolate in the fridge :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 Apr 2023 22:47

No eggs, but we both have chocolate in the fridge, mine are lactose free so heaven help him if he touches those :-D :-D :-D

We have had a vey large NZ lamb leg in the freezer for several months, waiting for more than us to be here, but daughter and grandson weren't keen on lamb when they were here a couple of weeks ago. So we're going to cook that on Sunday, and then cut about half of the cooked roast off, wrap it and re-freeze it. There's no way just the 2 of us could eat the whole thing before it went bad, even in the fridge!

But it's just time that it was cooked and eaten!

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 7 Apr 2023 07:21

No eggs and no chocolate here but I have chocolate brownies as well as choc ice cream and frozen choc yoghurt.

Sylvia, like you, we have a NZ leg of lamb for Sunday. We also have a side of salmon for today. This has been the same when family get together for Easter for as long as I can remember. The few times OH and I have spent Easter on our own, I have done salmon steaks on Good Friday but still done leg of lamb for Sunday and frozen two extra dinners then used the rest for sandwiches,

My Mum always cooked the same for those two special days, as did most of her side of the family. This I know because we often used to spend Easter with them.

I have no idea what Dad’s family usually did as his Mum died when he was only five and I was a baby when my paternal grandfather died. They did have a housekeeper when Dad was young and she may have done something similar - but, as it was in a different part of the country they may have grown up with different ‘rituals’.

Spring always reminds me of one place I worked when, on the first day of spring, we ladies would be given a bunch of daffodils from our union rep, I’ve never come across anything like that elsewhere. Sadly, that union rep died in a plane crash shortly after I left that job but I think of him when Spring arrives.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 Apr 2023 23:07

I have chocolate - but it's nothing to do with Easter :-D

I've also never given my 5 grandchildren (age range 5 to 21) Easter Eggs.
Until last year, I sent them book tokens.

Yesterday, I saw my 3 elder grandchildren, as it was the eldest's 21st birthday :-S
I gave her, and her brothers (16 and 14) money, instead.
I was amazed when they said they missed the book tokens - even the 21 year old!!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Apr 2023 23:11

JoyL ........ like you, we always had fish on Good Friday, and the ritual was for Mum and Dad to walk to the local fish shop which opened for the morning only with fish brought in overnight from the coast. It was, I think the only day that you could guarantee fish as fresh as that! I think about half of the fish and game shops in the town opened on Good Friday morning so there was never more than a couple of miles to walk.

The thing is ........... I cannot remember what kind of fish we had :-( . It wasn't salmon

Chicken was our usual dish for holidays.

Since we married, OH and I have also had fish, usually sockeye salmon or halibut, on Good Friday (the rest of the year, we usually have fish on Saturday!) and either ham or lamb on Easter Sunday. Ham has been our most frequent choice because big holidays are the only days we can get ham-on-the-bone from butcher or supermarket, so that has always been more of a treat for us.

This year, "fish" will be in the form of sushi from our local Japanese place.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 8 Apr 2023 10:21

Sounds delicious, Sylvia.

Mum sometimes had salmon but mostly had cod on GF, however, it was the other way round in Gran’s house.

Like I do, you will recall the times when having a chicken was special. Not sure how it is in Canada but here it is not at all special now.