General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Stand by

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 23 Apr 2023 14:57

For aler

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 23 Apr 2023 15:01

just heard it.... they might've used an english voice!!!

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 23 Apr 2023 15:03

Exactly what we said Bob :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 23 Apr 2023 15:11

Were we supposed to answer it ?

:-(

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 23 Apr 2023 15:12

Voice? What voice???

Caroline

Caroline Report 23 Apr 2023 15:13

I was about to ask how you all coped. I was just speaking to my mum when it was due and her old basic phone didn't do anything.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 23 Apr 2023 15:17

I switched mine off so didn't hear a thing :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 23 Apr 2023 15:18

I knew I wouldn’t get it and OH wasn’t too sure. We were in the garden with the door open. Didn’t hear it. So it all a bit pointless.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 23 Apr 2023 15:20

Caroline, phone has to be running IOS 14.5 or, I think, Android 11 to get the signal. OH’s is an older phone on IOS 12 and he didn’t get it.

Island

Island Report 23 Apr 2023 15:39

Back to the drawing board by the looks of it

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 23 Apr 2023 15:51

What voice I just heard a very loud buzzer
You don't need to do anything. A bit of something and nothing wasn't it?

Caroline

Caroline Report 23 Apr 2023 17:35

Thanks Vera she's not upset she didn't get it :-D Her phone is no bells or whistles just calls.
Over here it took a few times for it to work for most phones/areas....trust me once it's in place you will forget it's there you'll never hear it.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 23 Apr 2023 17:46

My just sounded an alarm nothing else at 3.01pm

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 23 Apr 2023 18:14

I must have a Mickey Mouse phone, I got nuffink! :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 23 Apr 2023 19:58

My sister is in Cornwall seems the alert was spread out over half an hour or more some got it early most got it late. My brother-in-law was at least thirty mins later than everyone else and joked maybe he's not worthy of a warning :-)

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 23 Apr 2023 20:13

My question is, what if there is a genuine warning of say a flood how would it affect you and what do you do anyway?

Island

Island Report 23 Apr 2023 20:34

Exactly Zzzz. Some areas are prone to flooding so the communities would already be aware. Those in areas which aren't affected... well, what's the point?
It's either a pocket lining exercise or real chance of nuclear attack, in which case, why bother?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 23 Apr 2023 20:37

Apparently those on 3 network were unlikely to get it.

We are just outside a flood zone so don’t get the current warnings. So if we did get an alert we might panic before we realised they can’t confine the new alert to certain streets. However we would probably be glued to the windows.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 23 Apr 2023 21:06

Island, someone somewhere will get a pat on the back and maybe a financial bonus.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Apr 2023 23:33

ZZzzz - just about sums it up!

It appears, some in my area, on Sky have, since the alarm, been unable to use their phones!
Others have found that if they turn their phones off, when they turn them back on again, they get the alert.

I had the alert and message. Later, when I went to use my phone, I had another 'message' (load of bumpf about the alarm) on my screen.