General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

DEATH RECORD 2018 England

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CasCas

CasCas Report 15 Jun 2023 08:05

Hello

I have found a death record on GRO for 2018. Please can anyone tell me if there is anywhere I can see the dob of this person without ordering a death cert?

Name - ST CLAIR KNIGHTS born 1937. Died 2/3018 Southwark.

Many thanks
Cassie

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 15 Jun 2023 09:53

Obituaries. Old parish magazines or old local newspapers for notices.

CasCas

CasCas Report 15 Jun 2023 10:40

Thanks. Sadly no luck with those.

Do you know if place of birth is given on a marriage or death cert?

Thank
Cassie

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 15 Jun 2023 10:57

Marriage certs. - if this was in England or Wales then no.

Death certs. - probably but it is down to what the person who registered the death knows.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 15 Jun 2023 11:37

He married in Southwark in 1990.

No other sign of him - either not born in the UK, or maybe adopted, or changed his name at some time.

Google produced this re his wife:

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/officers/R84Ek809BENjJngDbVVyGiIlSis/appointments

And other similar results.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 15 Jun 2023 11:47

They had a daughter in 1999.

She's mentioned on page 57 of this document:

https://islingtonpeoplestheatre.co.uk/site/assets/files/1153/next_stage_-_southwark_playhouses_participation_programme.pdf

She's on London ER to 2018.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 15 Jun 2023 13:17

I saw that marriage but thought it might have been a son. I haven’t found a birth with either the mothers maiden name nor the st clair/ knights surname.

Added: I don’t have World Ancestry - it looks as though the St Clair Knights name might be American.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 15 Jun 2023 15:56

In my experience of someone born overseas, but died in England, we only got the name of the country, - not an actual place, but I don't know if this is usually the case.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 15 Jun 2023 16:05

The daughter's birth (mmn Brown) is on Ancestry. Presumably also on FMP.
Listed as Knights, St Clair Knights, and also Clair.

If her father is the son of the one John's looking for, as Names suggests, there's no sign of him either.

Yes, there are records of men named St Clair Knight (no s at the end) in America, but I can't see any born 1937.
There was a St Clair Knights (with an s) in Canada, but he died in 2001.

CasCas

CasCas Report 15 Jun 2023 16:20

Thankyou all very much for the info!

He was born in Trinidad but moved to London. I found the possible marriage and birth which means he was an 'older' father but still a possibility.

I'm going to order the death cert first to see what that brings up.

Once again thanks for the useful info
:-D

Cassie

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 15 Jun 2023 16:43

AG - had a good look and missed the birth.

Cassie, Family Search is probably your best.bet and have a look at what the National Archives for Trinidad & Tobago have available. But wait to do the last one until you have the death certificate which, hopefully, will have his birthdate.

If he is the one who married in 1990 then his marriage certificate should give his fathers name.

CasCas

CasCas Report 15 Jun 2023 17:05

Thanks Nameslessone.

I'll probably order the death and marriage certificates to be surr.
Thankyou :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 15 Jun 2023 17:26

You could, of course, try and contact the ‘daughter’ who may be able to answer your questions

CasCas

CasCas Report 27 Jun 2023 18:29

Thanks Nameslessone.
Ive tried to locate the ex wife and daughter and have messaged the daughter on social media but she's not seen my message as yet.
I know have the death cert do have an address on there for the ex wife so will write.

Many thanks
Cassie ;-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Jun 2023 00:24

Do remember that death certificates mostly have information that is "known to the informant". Much of it may not be accurate, or true.

The only information that you can almost believe is reliable is the date od death, name of doctor, cause of death, place of death, and the informant's information.

Everything else, including birth date name of deceased, etc etc is only "as known by the informant", and may be completely wrong!

My grandfather's death certificate has the wrong age and birth date, and that was the information given by his son. But grandfather had led us all to believe that his birthday was on December 25, and that was the day we celebrated. In fact he was born on January 9, and I'm not convinced whether he was born on January 9 of the year or the following year.

I do have all certificates/war records, etc, but they all except 2 have the same date we had, if the date is there at all. Those 2 are his birth certificate and his passport, which was only found after his death.

He was baptised later with his younger sister, so that doesn't really help