General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

D-Day Landings

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 6 Jun 2024 14:45

:-) <3 <3

Not often I praise the BBC….but I found their coverage of the D-Day Landings quite special. For once it seemed to be about the people that really mattered and not the VIP’s who were in attendance.

Oh how my Mum and Dad would have enjoyed being there…I can remember waving them off in their camper van to attend the 50th Anniversary in France…they had such a wonderful time. Glen Miller was on repeat mode as they travelled
:-D :-D

It was wonderful to see all the Veterans really enjoying their day <3 <3

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 6 Jun 2024 14:55

I have been watching the D Day Landings all this week on GB News channel & their coverage has been really good, I have really enjoyed seeing everything even though I have ended up in tears more than once listening to some of the Veterans stories.
The whole thing has been very moving.

Joan.

kandj

kandj Report 6 Jun 2024 15:20

I felt that it was such an emotional service seeing all those brave men and listening to their war time stories has had me in tears. Respect for them all.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 6 Jun 2024 16:43

I watched this morning from about 0900 until the end of the programme. What an excellent production. Lovely to see the veterans and emotional listening to some of their stories. And how lovely to see the interaction between the primary school children and the veterans. Yes it was very well done.

Bits I have seen (videos etc) of the Portsmouth celebrations yesterday looked excellent as well. How my parents would have enjoyed it all. They would have been so proud of their home town.

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 6 Jun 2024 20:33

It has been very interesting to watch. My father wasn’t involved, he was captured in 1940 trying to get to the Dunkirk beaches, but his unit didn’t make it. He spent five years in a POW camp

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 6 Jun 2024 22:18

I also watched and thought it was all very well done and very moving. It seemed to be very focused on the veterans and their stories as it usually is but somehow different as well (not explaining very well am I) I thought the singing was good and loved hearing Tom Jones singing.

My father also spent years in a POW camp and I never heard him speak of it I only found out more when I got his army records

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 6 Jun 2024 23:13

I have not yet caught up with the recordings I made, when I couldn't watch all of the programmes, but like you, I was pleased to see the focus on the veterans and their stories. It was very moving too to see how French families greeted them and were so grateful for them helping to liberate their country.

Like AnnG, I was interested to see views of Portsmouth, a city I knew well, as a child.
I think I have learned quite a lot over the last few days about how widespread an area amassed troops and equipment in readiness to cross The Channel.

This evening, I went to a beacon lighting just feet away from the shore of that English Channel. It was not a clear view, so we couldn't actually see France today, as we can sometimes, but what a different sight it must have been 80 years ago. Today there was just the calm view of an occasional ship in the distance. Back in 1944 it must have seemed like mayhem.

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 7 Jun 2024 08:08

Very emotional from the bits that I did see. All those lovely old men, all saying they were not heroes. <3

My three uncles, all brothers were on the beach on D-Day together, something I am not sure would be allowed today.

Latterly in the War, one was a POW, one suffered badly from shell-shock, and one died in a plane crash.

It affected my poor Nan badly. <3

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 7 Jun 2024 08:36

Dear All

Hello

For me, I have just seen the front page of "The Sun" newspaper.

The picture shows a group of today's soldiers wading towards land and
two soldiers are carrying red poppy wreaths.

A very poignant tribute to all those who have their lives for our freedom too.

Also, this part of Prince William's eloquent speech:

"it's almost impossible to grasp the courage it would have taken to run into the fury of battle that day".

I would like to dedicate my post to my great-uncle who was killed in an accident whilst doing his training. He was only 20 at the time.

Rest in peace. <3

Take gentle care
Love EOS
xx