General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Beefeater restaurants

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 2 Jul 2024 12:36

If you eat in Beefeater restaurants, did you know that they are closing many of them. They will all become the restaurant part of Premier Inns and only available to people who stay in the hotels. Gloucester and Cheltenham are losing three.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 2 Jul 2024 13:02

There has been talk of them moving away from their restaurants to concentrate on their hotels since last year. Interestingly found a month o,d article in the Portsmouth news which said they were going to convert some of those restaurants that are attached into more rooms.
Hopefully those would in busy areas where one can go out to eat easily.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 2 Jul 2024 14:43

Ah yes I saw somewhere that there were going to be more rooms. We used to eat at our local Beefeater and always met with friends there once a year near Christmas. They served decent pub food, fish and chips etc. But the last couple of times I have eaten there (within the last year, they had gone very much downhill.

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 2 Jul 2024 15:02

The last time we ate in a beefeater because we were staying in the hotel, three of us got food poisoning. The food wasn’t very nice either. That one was attached to a Travelodge and was very run down. We find that the in-house restaurants which are actually part of the new Premier Inns are a much better standard

Florence61

Florence61 Report 2 Jul 2024 15:32

We stayed in a Travel lodge last year in Glasgow and the menu in their restaurant was very basic. The pizza was tasteless. I wouldn't have eaten there if i could have gone elsewhere tbh Daughter walked to a petrol station 2 minutes away and came back with a subway which she said was far tastier!

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 3 Jul 2024 09:57

OH and son are away at the moment.
In 'Spoons one meal was delivered to the table with the rice still in its pouch!!!!

Our local ones must be posh - the rice comes on the plate - or is the other way round

;-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 3 Jul 2024 14:53

Never heard of that before Names, surely an error. Or maybe it is an 'upmarket' thing.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 3 Jul 2024 19:14

Oh I do dislike some of those 'upmarket' ways of serving.

One restaurant we went to served very tasty...and pricey ... fish and chips. With this came a serving of garden peas presented in a china container, which looked like a cross between an egg cup and a tea cup. So difficult to eat the peas with a knife and fork, when served this way, but made for a different challenge from dismantling the 'Jenga-style' stack of chips :-|

Another upmarket restaurant favoured thick wooden boards instead of plates. One of the desserts offered was bread and butter pudding and a jug of custard....
Really ?.. On a board ??

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 3 Jul 2024 19:18

Pub we sometimes es go to serves crushed peas in the ‘eggcup’. Why? Is it to save having to hoover up the runaways?

Annx

Annx Report 3 Jul 2024 19:41

OH saw in our local paper today that we are losing one the same way a just few miles from us too Ann. We haven't been since long before the pandemic but I remember really liking their spinach and ricotta lasagne with garlic bread they did then.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 4 Jul 2024 12:43

I think it is pretty general ann.
Peas in egg cups and beans in a separate dish, I just tip them out onto the plate. But can't imagine custard on a board so maybe that would have come in a dish Gwyn? I would like to think so.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 4 Jul 2024 12:57

Very thick custsrd ;-)

Florence61

Florence61 Report 4 Jul 2024 13:33

Yes, the" posh" hotel I stayed in didn't serve the food on plates as one might have expected. instead they were on some sort of tray with newspaper style greaseproof paper underneath. The peas were in a china pot which I tipped out straightaway onto the tray .

I absolutely hate this. Sometimes it comes on a slate???? Almost going backward in my opinion or is this supposed to be "trendy retro?" Food should be served on proper plates along with all the food.

I have also been in a restaurant where the food was served on a board thing....def not my thing.

Custard hmmn now there's a thought!