General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Whatever next

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Sep 2024 12:15

Tupperware has gone bancruot.

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 19 Sep 2024 12:26

Have to be honest I didn't realise they were still a thing. There are so many similar things on the market now I suppose that Tupperware is no longer unique. I do still have one large box that I bought at a Tupperware party. many many years ago.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 19 Sep 2024 12:40

I bought many Tupperware items back in '70s. The parties were definitely a very common happening and as we moved around with my husband's job, they were a way of meeting other wives.
Living abroad we were constantly looking for ways to keep food insect-free, so all my items were well used.
I still have many.

Von

Von Report 19 Sep 2024 13:17

Hang on to them Gwyn they will become collectors pieces in the fullness of time ;-) ;-)

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 19 Sep 2024 13:25

It is indestructible but the lids get lost.

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 19 Sep 2024 14:13

I had quite a collection, it was expensive stuff. Then I inherited various collections from elderly family members. Put them through the dishwasher, they came out sparkling. Still superior to most of the cheaper stuff on the market.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 19 Sep 2024 14:43

Crikey my mum had loads of it as we like many had parties in the 70's. We would do nibbles and wine etc and invited friends, neighbours and family. It was always a great evening and the host would get a gift and a dscount.

I guess there are cheaper things on the market now but I bet they wont last as long ;-)

Florence in the hebrides

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Sep 2024 16:01

I still have quite a few pieces small bowls no lids to be found anywhere, still in daily use for bits in the fridge, three containers (round), two orange one brown for biscuits a large square container used to hold lots of storage box lids. The small bowls date back to about 1966/7.

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 19 Sep 2024 16:07

My Mum had some but not a huge amount, the only thing I nabbed was a jelly mould (at least I think it's Tupperware!) I use the Lakeland square storage stacking boxes with coloured lids as they're great for the freezer and hold a single portion. I've always preferred ceramic/glass for storing things in the fridge.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 19 Sep 2024 17:19

I’ve still got a lot of Tupperware but I seldom use it now and should get rid of it. At the back of my mind I thought that years ago there had been some sort of problem with Tupperware so I googled. Well into the 2000s they were still using a chemical in their plastic that could leach all sorts of nasty things into the food. I suspect their sales dropped a lot after that disclosure. Most of my stuff dates from the 1970s.