General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lost credits

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 1 Oct 2024 05:04

Hi, I’m new here, I only signed up for the month and have tried searching newspaper archives for information but I have wasted 10 credits already when nothing shows when I click open. It’s just a blank box and gave plenty of time to load. Is this a common problem?

Thanks in advance

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 1 Oct 2024 09:21

I don't know, I'm afraid.
The helpers here seldom look for records or reports on GR, as other sites are better.

If you like to tell us what reports you're looking for, perhaps we can help.

If you really want to use the newspaper archives on GR, email [email protected] for advice - though it will take them several days to reply.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 1 Oct 2024 09:24

Not many people on here use Genes for research as other sites are much better.

Genes gets everything from its sister company Find my Past.

The newspapers originally come from the British Newspaper Archives which you can search for free although the results read oddly. On that site you can also search individual newspapers.

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 1 Oct 2024 11:12

Thankyou for responses, I will move on to other sites as advised. I found a marriage date and wanted to check the papers for announcement to see if any other info about family members in attendance etc. there was an article in archives but could only read as said above a very jumbled version of the announcement as preview and the article wouldn’t open.

I’m trying to piece together family tree around William j Eaton born 1945 and died 1966 and think his father is William moss Eaton who married Majorie sigsworth in 1934. I think william moss eatons father may also have been called William moss Eaton but not found the right record of this. I’m then trying to find siblings of William j Eaton who is my grandad. My mother born out of wedlock to a Maureen staples by him.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 1 Oct 2024 11:26

You have to pay to see the actual article on the BNA.

According to freebmd the Eaton/sigsworth marriage took place in the Cleveland area in 1942. I haven’t been able to find the younger Eaton on freebmd which only covers England and Wales.

Presumably your mother was told who her father was which is useful as your search needs to be done carefully and with sensitivity.

Added:

Found the birth for William J on freebmd Cleveland 1945 and died age 21 in Middlesborough.
You can use www.freebmd.org.uk to find those and look to see if there were any other children of the Eaton/ sigsworth marriage.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 1 Oct 2024 13:43

Rebecca also has a Staples thread on FLA.

added:
https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1280428?page=1

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 1 Oct 2024 14:57

William M Eaton
in the England & Wales, Civil Registration Marriage Index, 1916-2005
Name William M Eaton
Registration Date Jul 1942 [Aug 1942] [Sep 1942]
Registration Quarter Jul-Aug-Sep
Registration district Cleveland
Inferred County Yorkshire North Riding
Spouse Marjorie G Sigsworth
Volume Number 9d
Page number 1019

Births Jun 1944 (>99%)
Eaton William J (mmn Sigsworth) Cleveland 9d 577

William J had 3 sisters: Audrey 1945; Katherine G 1949; and Elizabeth A 1957.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 1 Oct 2024 15:34

Audrey probably married a Sadler in 1967 - details on FreeBMD.
I won't post it on here in case they're still living.

Katherine married a Bulmer in 1969, and in 1970-71 was living in Moorsholm, Yorkshire.

Elizabeth married a Lowe in 1975.

All three marriages in Cleveland

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 1 Oct 2024 15:56

William James Eaton and his mother, who also died young share a grave - Fibd a Grave.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 1 Oct 2024 16:27

Rebecca, there is an article for the marriage of William Moss Eaton of the Royal Engineers and Majorie Gwendoline Sigsworth on Saturday, 18 July 1942 at Guisborough Parish Church.

It states that William Moss Eaton was the son of Mr & Mrs A Eaton of Bennison Street and Majorie Gwendoline Sigsworth, the youngest daughter of Mrs Sigsworth of 37 Gill Street and the late Mr James Sigsworth.

Article in The Cleveland Standard, Redcar Yorkshire, 18 July 1942.

I will send you a message with the Article attached:-)

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 1 Oct 2024 16:37

This looks to be William Moss in the 1939 Register living in Bennison Stree, Guisborough with Parents Amos & Maria Eaton

Amos A Eaton 21 May 1883 Male Steelworks Joiner Married 188 1
Maria Eaton 12 May 1887 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married 188 2
William Eaton 12 Mar 1914 Male Joiner & Carpenter Single 188 3

Edit
Looking at other records William's mother was called Maud not Maria which is a transcription error. Maud's maiden name was Stewart and she was married to Amos Albert Eaton in 1907.

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 1 Oct 2024 18:15

Thanks so much, done some serious work today and been and found the grave of William moss Eaton 1st, and learned a lot from the stone, joined and matched it up on ancestry. Found Amos’s grave too and my grandads William john Eaton.

It looks like William moss Eaton 2nd left for Rockingham Australia after Marjorie and William John died.

Still piecing together so really appreciate everyone’s efforts and input here :-)

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 1 Oct 2024 18:18

Many of the family are buried in Guisborough cemetery and I found this on the off chance of what was posted here and in a marriage record with them getting married in the local parish church