General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry dna regions

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 14 Oct 2024 11:31

Ancestry have redone the regions results.

Am having difficulty getting my head around some of the new regions and how the results are shared, or not, across each parent.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 14 Oct 2024 16:08

I've just had a look Names and agree with you. :-0

On my father's side he had 12% Swedish but that now seems to have got clumped together in England & Northwestern Europe but he has acquired 2% Spain :-S

On my mother's side France has increased from 9% to 20% but I always thought it was a bit on the low side :-)

I have to say though they seem to be spot on as to where my parents recent ancestor came from :-)

agingrocker

agingrocker Report 14 Oct 2024 19:01

Last time they "improved" this it played havoc with our figures, they more or less said that what they had told us before was wrong.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 14 Oct 2024 20:35

Also, the sensible part of your brain tells you that many of the % are too low and show an ancient connection, whilst the emotional side goes “whaaaaat!”

agingrocker

agingrocker Report 15 Oct 2024 00:58

I've just had a look and I must admit it makes a lot more sense this time.

I had a paternal Grandfather who was Scottish so seeing 36% Scottish sounds quite believable, and my wife had an Austrian mother so her 43% from Germanic Europe is also believable. From memory the last improvement showed her as being 12% which just had to be wrong.