General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Desperately looking for the Somerset Golledges!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Craftlady

Craftlady Report 31 Jan 2004 19:29

Can anyone help! I'm trying to compile the Somerset Golledge Family tree and I've come up against a blank wall, if anyone has any connections with Lott Golledge born about 1901, died 1923 was married to Ada Hatcher (my Grandparents), they had one child Alice who was my Mother, I believe the Family lived in or near Castle Cary or Shepton Mallet there could also be a connection at East Pennard, I'd be very grateful for any info, many thanks. Audrey Beck

susie manterfield(high wycombe)

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 31 Jan 2004 19:53

hi audrey ive had a look on the 1891 census.there are 120 golledges in somerset.one of them is called lot!!hes 32 praps this is your g/dads father susie

John

John Report 31 Jan 2004 20:07

Hi Audrey There are 125 Golledges listed in Somerset in the 1881 census, many of them in Shepton Mallett and both East and West Pennard. In the 1901 census there is a Lottie Golledge who was 2 and therefore born around 1899 in Ditcheat. Looks like she had a father called Lot (aged 43) who was an innkeeper and mason plus brothers and sisters called Daisy, Nelson and William. There was also an Elizabeth aged 34 (mother?) I can't find any other male Lot or Lott or female Lottie in 1901 The district of Shepton Mallett includes the Pennards, Ditcheat and other villages in this area. Ada Louisa Hatcher's birth was registered in the quarter jul-sept 1903 in Shepton Mallett. Lot Golledge was born in qtr jan-mar 1901 (according to freeBMD) in Shepton Mallett volume 5c page 406. Do you have a birth certificate? You could easily get one with this information for about £7 ordered from the GRO online. John

Craftlady

Craftlady Report 31 Jan 2004 22:37

Hi John, You are a 'STAR' I can't begin to tell you how very grateful I am for all your info, it sounds as though you've hit on the right branch of the Golledges I'm looking for I can now try and begin to piece together my 'lost' Family, phew! what a relief, many thanks, incedently do you know the GRO website I'd be grateful if you could pass it on to me thanks again. Audrey

Craftlady

Craftlady Report 31 Jan 2004 22:43

Hi Susie, Many thanks for your info it sounds like you've hit on the right branch of the Golledge Family I'm looking for, I'm very grateful for your help as I was almost tearing my hair out trying to find them. Many thanks. Audrey

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 1 Feb 2004 19:43

hi audrey heres the info for lot lot golledge head 32 builder west bradley elizabeth a wife 23? alhampton henry j son 12 west bradley florence b dau 9 boltonburrogh daisy m dau 3 alhampton william j son 11mths alhampton 2 cottage ditcheat somerset susie

Craftlady

Craftlady Report 1 Feb 2004 20:36

Hi again Susie, Yet again many thanks for this valuable info regarding my Family, I've a feeling these are my gr8 gr8 g'parents hopefully I can work my way down from there, is there by any chance you may know of a website in which I could zap into for more info, here again I seem to come to a dead end trying to find the info I need. Many thanks again. Audrey

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 1 Feb 2004 20:45

hi audrey have you tried familysearch(.)org remove brackets. they have the 1881 census which is free to search. they also have the IGI wich is births deaths and marriages. it is a great site susie

John

John Report 1 Feb 2004 22:52

Hi Audrey I think I found Lot in the 1901 census. Lot (junior) has been mispelt as Sot. He was 1 month old and living with Alice age 22 Harry 22 and Elsie 2. Harry was a mason. However, this is not the same household as Lot (the innkeeper and mason), Elizabeth, William, Daisy, Nelson, Lottie. They were all in Ditcheat. Harry Golledge was married in qtr oct-dec 1900 to (I think) Alice Poynting in Wincanton district. Wincanton includes Castle Cary. The GRO address is www(.)col(.)statistics(.)gov(.)uk/ but you need to take out the brackets. If you look on the 1901 census you should find the whole family of grandparents but you will only get little Lot as Sot. You can get quite a lot of free information by using the 1901 census decoder before you pay for look ups on the public records office site. John

Craftlady

Craftlady Report 2 Feb 2004 18:45

Hi Susie, Thanks so much for your kind help, I'm now going to do a bit of sleuthing! incedently I've found tracing my Father's side of the Family fairly easy, his Mothers tree I've traced back to 1531 and his Father's back to 1761, re:Golledges- my Mother never knew her Father he died at an early age and her Mother married again and this is where I faced a blank wall ..... all very confusing this genealogy business! Thankyou again. Audrey

Craftlady

Craftlady Report 2 Feb 2004 18:56

Hi John, Once again thanks so much for your help, I'm now going to do a bit of sleuthing, I've not had any problems tracing my Father's parent's tree - his Mother's dating back to 1531 and his Father's back to 1761. But many thanks again for your kind help. Audrey

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 20 Oct 2014 15:15

Hi again Rachel

It might have been better if you had posted a thread of your own on the "Find Ancestors" board.

Surely if Elisha is the brother of Sabina Maidment, his surname would be Maidment?

1841 England Census
about Elisha Maidment Name:Elisha Maidment
Estimated Birth Year:abt 1831
Where born:Somerset, England
Civil Parish:West Bradley
Hundred:Glaston Twelve Hides
County/Island:Somerset
Registration district:Wells
Sub-registration district:Glastonbury

Household Members:

Benjamin Maidment 50
Amelia Maidment 7
Elisha Maidment 10

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 20 Oct 2014 15:16

England & Wales, Criminal Registers, 1791-1892
Estimated Birth Year:abt 1831
Date of Trial:6 Jul 1846
Trial Year:1846
Location of Trial:Somerset, England
Sentence:Imprisonment

Larceny.....6 weeks

England & Wales, Criminal Registers, 1791-1892
Date of Trial:31 Mar 1849
Trial Year:1849
Location of Trial:Somerset, England
Sentence:Transportation

Larceny....10 years.

Rambling

Rambling Report 20 Oct 2014 15:17

Rachel as this is an old thread it would probably be better if you start one of your own on the Find Ancestors board,

you could also try clicking on craftlady's name and send a message, if GR has a current email address for her she will be notified :-)

Rambling

Rambling Report 20 Oct 2014 15:19

oops sorry PH you posted as i was typing :-D

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 20 Oct 2014 15:21

Would you like me to delete my information Rachel........So that you can start a thread of your own on the Find Ancestors board?

It might be in your best interest.

Prickles :-)

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 20 Oct 2014 15:25

I will send Rachel a PM Rose.