Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Any Flynn relatives or Delores Sangille.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Vivienne

Vivienne Report 30 Sep 2015 13:02

I am trying to trace any living relatives of my grandmother Mary Catherine Flynn who was originally from Gilford in Ireland. I know that she had a Sister and a brother who moved to Canada in the late 1920's I think, and I have names and their last known adresses, probably from the 60's.
Frank(or Francis) Flynn :11044-149 St Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.and
Annie Flynn: 40 Dixon Rd, Weston, Ontario Canada.( Annie had a daughter, Delores Sangille: 148 Mill Street, Brampton, Ontario, Canada). Any information would be great as I am trying to find the relatives for my elderly father.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 30 Sep 2015 16:45

Not seeing any Sangilles in Ontario.Could it be Langille? There was a Delores Langille in a 1974 Canada Voters list.

Rose

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 30 Sep 2015 17:37

Not sure if this is relevant or a coincidence
http://www.brockandvisser.com/book-of-memories/60130/Fraser-W-Bruce/obituary.php?Printable=true

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 1 Oct 2015 00:09

the Delores in that notice is a Langille/granddaughter-in-law of the deceased so we can't tell anything from the other names there

I would defo say the name is Langille and not Sangille though

there is a person on Facebook in Alberta with the same name as that Delores's husband ... he seems young and is originally from the east coast where the surname seems to originate - looks to be the family from the death notice

Mary Catherine's sister was Annie Flynn ... her birth name?

was her husband Langille, or is that her daughter Delores's husband's surname?

any of their husbands' names would be useful, since there is otherwise no way to know which person they might be on a voters' list, unless an entry with the right husband can be found

the voters' list is the only public information for that period in Canada (no births, marriages or deaths)

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 1 Oct 2015 00:47

1974 voters' list

Mrs Delores Langille with husband Ronald, a well driller, in Georgetown Ontario

http://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/Ontario/Brampton/Langille-Well-Drilling/3943857.html

the map at that page shows Georgetown and Brampton as nearly the same thing

at the same address:

http://www.canada411.ca/res/9054543029/M-Langille/201319136.html

very likely a child of the 1974 Langille, in case that is the right Delores

and R at the same address:

http://www.canpages.ca/page/ON/brampton/langille-water-services-after-hours-call-r-langille/4343102.html

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 3 Oct 2015 00:34

PM sent to Vivienne

Vivienne

Vivienne Report 3 Oct 2015 15:30

Thank you for this there are some leads here that I will follow up. would appreciate any leads for family of francis flynn. :-)

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 3 Oct 2015 18:25

maybe if you are able to contact Delores or her husband/son via those links they will be know about the family of Francis?

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 3 Oct 2015 19:03

on the 1962 voters' list there is a Frank Flynn, groundsman, with wife Florence, at the Edmonton address you gave

in 1965 at the same address he is 'telegraph' for occupation

in 1968 he is retired

in 1972 Mrs Florence Flynn appears alone at the same address

(in a couple of the years the street names are shown incorrectly in the lists, but the street number is always '10144')

in 1974 (the last available year) neither name appears in Edmonton

so it seems likely that Frank died between 1968 and 1972, and then Florence either died or left Edmonton

they don't seem to be in Edmonton before 1962 (looking for them to see whether there were any adult children in the household)

before the 1949 election (going by the results I see) it seems that married women were identified only as 'mrs john smith' ... so identifying the right couple somewhere else would be difficult

before 1962 there are numerous Florence Flynns but none that I see married to a Fran*

it would be helpful if you'd answer the questions about the surnames in the family ...
was Flynn Annie's birth surname?
what was her husband's surname? (daughter Delores's birth surname?)
is Langille Delores's birth or married surname?

since the links I gave seem to be leads, it seems that Langille is Delores's husband's surname

Vivienne

Vivienne Report 3 Oct 2015 20:25

THank you for all the time you have put in to this research. Unfortunately I do not know whether the Langille is correct as the names were taken from a piece of a book that my nan left and was only found and stored away after she died. It has only just come to light after nearly fifty years and my cousin seemed to think that the name was sangille. I do think though that an L may have looked like an S in the way it was written. I know nothing about Annie at all after she left Ireland and only know from my dad that she did have a daughter Dolores and that her name was also written on the same page of my grandmothers book. I would assume that the Sangille or Langille was her married name. I will try to contact the people that you have suggested and maybe find some answers. Many thanks.

Vivienne

Vivienne Report 3 Oct 2015 20:40

I have just found out that an Annie Flynn married an Arthur Dynes in Ireland in 1938 which makes them going to Canada a lot later than I had originally thought. This would make Dolores birth surname Dynes if all info is correct.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 3 Oct 2015 21:05

Hi Vivienne, well Sangille just is not a name while Langille is a name that seems to be not common, but well settled in Canada, coming from the east coast as the historical records show (and I would guess from the French population there)

those of us who read a lot of census images, for example, know how often the L/S mistake is made! people transcribed as lawyers who were sawyers, people called 'Sanders' who were Landers ... since it is a handwritten name you have, I have no doubt at all that it is actually Langille

as for Annie Flynn, I think the name was probably too common to assume that any particular Annie was yours, but it's possible!

and you're in luck

passenger lists show Annie, Arthur and Dolores, aged 9, sailing for Halifax in 1952

Arthur and Annie/Anna appear on the voters list in 1957, 1963 and 1965 in York (neighbouring Toronto)

then in 1968 Annie appears there with an Otto Dynes ... but I don't see him after that or in any other year ... I wonder whether the enumerator misheard 'Arthur'??

Vivienne

Vivienne Report 5 Oct 2015 18:58

I would just like to thank you for all your help. I have just spoken to Dolores on the telephone as I found that she was still living at the same address. She remembered meeting my dad as a child. So it was lovely to find her and she has told me about other members of my dads family. Many thanks again.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Oct 2015 19:33

Brilliant news and how lucky. Joonie and everyone else will be chuffed that its worked out.

Thank you for letting us know the outcome.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 5 Oct 2015 21:18

I'm very glad it worked out and say hello to Delores for us!