Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Searching for Alan Day

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lee

Lee Report 5 Oct 2015 23:53

Was married to Rita, then married to Margaret, had a brother called Graham Day (sadly deceased) used to live aboard a narrowboat called "High Society" at Foxton Locks, Leicestershire then believed to have travelled to Portugal in a motorhome a few years ago.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 6 Oct 2015 07:01

Hi Lee and welcome to the boards. Good idea to read a few of the threads here to get a feel for what might help in your search.

basically there is pretty much a snowball's chance that Alan or anyone who knows him will ever see this message. If you look in the main list, you will see that most messages here are only viewed a dozen or two times.

one way that people do find things here is by internet searches

so if you know Alan's middle name, if he had one, try putting his full name in your subject line (you can use Edit to do that)

you can add his year of birth, but not the date (too much personal info to put on the internet)

then some details that you know and no one else does

where was the narrowboat he lived on (or where did he go in it), when was he last known to be in England (more specific than 'a few years ago' if possible), are his parents still living / do you know them / are they in touch with him ... same for if he had siblings, do you know them / are they in touch with him ...

have you searched member trees here to see whether he is in any family members' trees? have you started a tree here and put yourself in it in case anyone ever searches for you? (ah yes, I see on a search that you have - you won't see yourself in your own tree if you search trees, but others do) (and tracing back a bit I see Alan didn't have a middle name which is unfortunate)

try searching trees for his parents and for brothers and sisters if you know of any, if you aren't in touch with his family

then ... be sure to keep your email address in this account current, so if someone does come along in future and send you a message, you will get a notice (and then you can answer without paying a subscription)

you will only get notice of replies in this thread if you click 'Watch This' at the top

good luck

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 7 Oct 2015 20:36

well I've sent seven marriages of an Alan Day to a Margaret by message

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 7 Oct 2015 21:11

I think we can probably assume that Lee knows who Alan's wives were :-)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 7 Oct 2015 22:18

well he's opened all seven of my messages yet has made no response - so do I care? not really

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 7 Oct 2015 23:53

oh Ann, seven messages? at least six of which are unrelated to him, and if one is related he almost certainly already knows it ... maybe a bit of a shock to the system

(the marriages to a Margaret that show at freebmd were all before the marriage to Rita so you must have found some after? I was unsuccessful)

if you explained to Lee how to get back to his thread hopefully he will do that

it's possible that with a bit more info we could help find someone like a brother or sister, but Lee would have to explain whether he is in touch with Alan's family and whether they would know where he is ...

Lee

Lee Report 7 Oct 2015 23:54

Hi AnnCardiff.

Thanks for all your messages, since opening them I have tried to find out Margarets surname before marrying my father Alan as I don`t know it, so I could then respond to your e-mails, I didn`t realise you wanted an immediate reply after I read your messages and so I would have appologised. I am new to this site and am trying to find my Father and thought I would try this site as it was recommended to me. I appreciate you taking the time to send me the messages but as you have stated above "well he's opened all seven of my messages yet has made no response - so do I care? not really" I guess this site might no be as friendly as recommended.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 7 Oct 2015 23:55

Lee, I believe you have edited your opening post to add details that I suggested in my first reply

it really is good form to acknowledge the replies you receive, and of course if you want help in your search to answer questions ...

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Oct 2015 00:51

Lee - AnnCardiff is actually quite a helpful person. Please don't take one comment posted quite late in the evening the wrong way :-)

Everyone who posts on your thread, are doing their best to add info which may lead to you finding Alan. JoonieCloonie in particular is an excellent researcher - if she can find leads, she will :-D

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 8 Oct 2015 01:36

and Lee amazingly managed to post in between two posts I posted 2 minutes apart and I didn't see it until I came back just now!

do please let us know what you know (that can be posted without violating privacy)

it's easy to find when and where your parents married because of Alan's first wife's uncommon name
http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

but freebmd only goes to 1980 and is not complete up to then

so if you know about when Alan married the second time, or where, we can search at Ancestry which is complete but has a rather useless search function when you only know first names, which is why time and place can help

(can't search for a Margaret who married an Alan Day like at freebmd ... only a Margaret who married a Day for instance, and then have to click twice more to find out who the Day was ...)

do you know whether he had chidren with his second wife or is that something you want to find out?

do you know anything about his parents or possible siblings?

Detective is no slouch either and there are lots more ... many heads often make lights work :-)

Lee

Lee Report 8 Oct 2015 09:16

Hi all.
Firstly I appologise for not replying immediatly to the messages I received and many thanks to everyone who is helping.
My father Alan Day married my Mother Rita (whose maiden name is Helliker) in 1967, they divorced in approx 1977 / 78, lost touch with Alan Day until 1987 when he was then married to Margaret (who I know is originally from Ireland) so the marriage took place sometime between 1978 and 1987. I then lost touch with Alan Day in approx in late 1990`s. Alan Day had a brother Called Graham Day - now deceased (who was married to Elizabeth and had 2 children named Caroline and Sarah). Alan Day was born approx 1944 in Bristol area.
If I can find out / recall any more I will add to this post.
Many thanks to everyone.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 Oct 2015 10:28

apologies if I sounded a bit short :-)

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 8 Oct 2015 13:20

Second marriage was possibly 1980. He and Margaret were still listed at Foxton Locks in 2008.

Are you in touch with Graham's family- do you think they might know his where abouts?

Lee

Lee Report 8 Oct 2015 18:56

Hi AustinQ.

Unfortunately Grahams family do not know where Alan is as they have also lost touch.