Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for Mary (Thompson) Tucker's Daughter

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 27 Feb 2017 07:16

She was born April 1969 in Canada Newfoundland St. Johns at The Grace Hospital

She was adopted and have blood relatives on both sides of my grandparent’s family.

To the person I’m trying to contact you have family that want to meet you. I have info on relatives from both sides of our family. I'm your cousin Peggy I'm helping your sister search for you as we are desperate to find you after recently learning of your existence.

PS
Hope you’re out there somewhere and want to find your family xx

Ru

Ru Report 27 Feb 2017 09:53

Hello Margaret,

Can we have a little more information and what you have so far that may help us to help you.
Peahen

Margaret

Margaret Report 27 Feb 2017 10:31

Her mum is called Mary Thompson she was born in 29/04/1937 I don't think the father name is on the birth certificate as he was married to another lady and my cousin I'm looking for has two sisters called Anna and Stella. Anna was born 02/08/1967 and Stella was born 23/07 not sure of the year though but I think it was in the 60's

Peggy :-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Feb 2017 10:41

Is there another thread about this lady?

If there was, there was a suggestion that you looked for adoptee reunion sites or organisations in Canada. There may be an official one similar to the English/Welsh adoption contact register.

From memory you were told by the Canadian authorities that, understandably, they weren't able to help with an active search as the request didn't come from the birth mother.
You also said that the names of the family, including the child (as unknown) are on your tree.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 27 Feb 2017 11:01

Your other thread about the same person posted the day before this one:

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1364963

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 27 Feb 2017 11:58

Oh my gosh! Another thread, same day as this one:

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1364970

Margaret

Margaret Report 27 Feb 2017 13:18

Not sure if the Mother gave permission but I know it was the mother who told the daughter she has another sister told her who the father was and everything and she tried to get documents opened but was told it was a closed adoption and only the sister my cousin could have them opened its the sister Anna and I thats looking for her.

Margaret

Margaret Report 27 Feb 2017 13:26

And only the adoptee could have them opened

Margaret

Margaret Report 27 Feb 2017 13:36

Sorry for all the confustion with having 3 treads on the go at the same time I thought different people looked at them Ive delete two of them now

Peggy x

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Feb 2017 15:46

The only other thing you can do is give the mother's name in full, including any middle names and her maiden name.
Are you aware if the child was named by the birth mother, and what that name was? If so, edit your title to include that.

Does Mary have any connections to the U.K. e.g. born or married here? If so, find her reg details on freebmd (England & Wales) and leave a message with a generic email address. Say something like 'birth family welcomes contact with daughter born...." adding the details you know. There's no need to say anything about the presumed father unless his descendants also want contact.

Occasionally someone looking for family will google family members names. Extra details might bring this thread up as a search result. Since it could happen several years in the future, make sure that GR is always linked to an email address that isn't likely to change. Alternatively if or when you do change, update your GR account.
Rather than cancel your account, just allow your subscription to lapse. That way anyone can contact you by clicking on your name. Free members can reply to messages but not instigate them.

Margaret

Margaret Report 27 Feb 2017 23:29

Mary has no middle names she was born in St. John's Canada in 1937
Mary Thompson had a baby Girl called Stella in 1962 in a home for unwed mums and in 1967 she had Anna she was married then to a man called Maxwell Tucker she married Max in St. John's and her third child my cousin who was born in 1969 who was my uncles child he was married to my Aunt at the time hence the adoption I believe.
All the family on both sides gave me permission to search and post on here as they all want to meet her and welcome her into her family.
I don't think Mary gave her a name and her memory isn't as good as it was she's 80 this year. :-)

Thank you I'm going to try and edit this post :-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Feb 2017 00:52

Please don't start another thread!

You have all the family names in this one. That's all it takes to be picked up on an internet search.

When it comes down to it, Adoptees can only found if they want to be. Even if their birth parent(s) named them, that has now been changed. You can't look for someone unless you know the name they are using now.....and there is no way for birth family finding out what it now is.

From reading the boards over a number of years, adoptees looking for birth family fall into 1 of up to 3 catagories

- those who have known they are adopted from a young age. They have the support of their family to look for their 'roots'.
- those who have known they were adopted, but don't want to upset their family by looking for their birth parents. They often wait until their parents have died.
- those who have never known they were adopted. This often occurs in the UK as they have never needed a 'full' birth certificate to apply for eg a passport.

Suggest to your Canadian relatives that they make enquiries of adoption agencies to see if there they can hire an intermediary/researcher who would be allowed to access the records. Other than that, its a waiting game.

Margaret

Margaret Report 28 Feb 2017 08:43

Is it possible to find Mary's records of her birth's and if found would it give three birth dates. Just wondering if I had a birth date could I narrow down the search right to the hospital the baby girl was born ?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Feb 2017 10:07

Canadian provinces have different levels of closure for their vital records i.e. B,M & D Certs. You certainly won't be able to order the adopted child's BC without their written permission.

Explore the following site
http://www.servicenl.gov.nl.ca/vitalstats/index.html

On the other thread, someone has posted a link to an adoption 'reunion' site.

Margaret

Margaret Report 28 Feb 2017 10:15

Was the site called reunion ? as I deleted them
Just been speaking to Anna the mother did name the baby but Anna isn't sure if it was documented the baby was called Jane by her mum Mary x

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Feb 2017 10:30

Have you only just deleted it as I'm sure I'd read it this morning?

Yes, it might have had reunion in the title.

Margaret

Margaret Report 28 Feb 2017 10:49

Yes I deleted this morning I must have over looked that bit of info hope the person that gave me it sees this post I'll do a search and see what I can find

Thank you

Kay????

Kay???? Report 28 Feb 2017 20:36

www.canadianadopteesregistry.org/

it can only work if both parties are searching......but it will at least be out there should the lady search.

Its not the only site where registering can be done.

Margaret

Margaret Report 28 Feb 2017 22:51

Yes thank you all the message boards on this site are a great help <3 I'm now speaking to one of the organisations and Ive given them all the info they need and more so if she's out there and wanting to find her birth family fingers crossed it will happen.
Ive done all I can now from the advice given to me from all you member
Thank you again