Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking For Charles William Henry Palmer born 1927

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gemma

Gemma Report 25 Mar 2017 09:40

Hello there, I am desperately seeking to find a Charles William Henry Palmer from Essex area (Braintree or Inglestow possibly). Born in January 1927 and was a nurse or doctor.

I believe he is also missing one thumb or finger. And knew a Marjorie Baker.

I believe he could be my grandfather and I feel like a huge piece of our family and our lives is missing. Any information on my search would be appreciated and heartfelt.

Many thanks, Gemma

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 Mar 2017 10:09

Welcome to the boards Gemma.

How confident are you with his year of birth as there's nothing on FMP or freebmd. Could he have been born outside of England & Wales, or perhaps adopted?

Did he marry your grandmother and if so, where? If not, where & when was your parent conceived?

The only potential records on FMP are a couple of marriages 1969 to Cameron & 1994 to Higgins, both in Bromley reg.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 26 Mar 2017 14:38

Afraid there's no birth record for the name even around 1927

Flip

Flip Report 26 Mar 2017 16:44

Like Shirley says, there is no birth, also there's nothing for him in the future, how sure are you of the full name - where do you get that information?

Gemma

Gemma Report 26 Mar 2017 20:01

Thank you all for your help. I have tried different versions of the name along with different dates but I cannot find anything either.

We found out about this last year from my grandmother (my mum found out then also) and as this happened over 50 years ago the details may be sketchy and all we were told is in my first post. They never married but had a relationship, as he was married my Nan left with my Mum and only my Nan knows about this because it was frowned upon in those days.

Im just not sure how else to look for this without any other information!

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 26 Mar 2017 21:55

Was he working at a hospital ?
Did he live in a hostel / flat / lodgings ?
Any clues might help.

Is he on a medical register somewhere?

He is possibly still alive, so maybe not many records to find yet.

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 26 Mar 2017 23:04

When was your mother born, and in what area. It might help to tie him down if we knew where he was and when.

I wondered if he was in the forces, possibly a M.O. or an orderly, hence the confusion of whether he was a Dr. or a nurse.

Sorry I can' t find any info. to help you.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 27 Mar 2017 11:51

Could he have been born a lot ealier than thought
Births Jun 1905 (>99%)

Palmer Charles William H W. Ham 4a 335

Nothing further on that birth though re a marriage up to 1940

Think this is him diffrent occ

Palmer Household (2 People)
4 Howard Road , Braintree and Bocking U.D., Essex, England
Start free family tree View original imagePrint
FIRST NAME(S) LAST NAME(S) DOB OCCUPATION
Charles W Palmer 16 May 1905 Engineer Turner & Fitter Iron V (?cell Foundry Maintenance
Catherine M Palmer 15 Mar 1909 Unpaid Domestic Duties
Ref: RG101/1484B/005/34 Letter Code: DBIJ
© Findmypast Ltd
Open a closed record Request a living person's record

Gemma

Gemma Report 27 Mar 2017 17:15

Wow, thank you all. I am so warmed by all your help. I find this all really confusing.

My Mum, Ruth Baker born 20 July 1956 in Hackney managed to find out today that he worked at the Highwood TB Hospital in Brentwood with my Nan Marjorie who I believe was a lodger at his house. I believe he also may have been a butcher before he worked here but Im not sure what his position was at the hospital.

I know that as soon as my Nan was expecting she went to what they used to call 'a naughty girls hospital'. I dont know whether he knew or not about my Mum. My Nan then went on to marry Roy Herbert who had been my grandfather all this time. When he passed away we found out he wasnt her biological father.

I believe he was married and had 2 girls so somewhere my Mum has 2 step sisters.

Shirley, Braintree does keep coming up from my Nan as well as Inglestow? It is possible the date is wrong.

patchem

patchem Report 27 Mar 2017 18:42

Think this is the marriage for that 1939 couple:

Marriages Sep 1931 w
Palmer Charles W Welham Ipswich 4a 3160
Welham Catherine M Palmer Ipswich 4a 3160

though death gives different birth date:
Catherine Maud Palmer
Birth Date: 15 Nov 1909
Date of Registration: Feb 2004
Age at Death: 94
Registration district: Braintree
Inferred County: Essex

But this birth:
Births Dec 1909
WELHAM Catherine Maud Ipswich 4a 1006

Also looks like a son and a daughter, not 2 daughters.

His death:
Charles William Palmer
Birth Date: 16 May 1905
Date of Registration: Sep 1973
Age at Death: 68
Registration district: Chelmsford
Inferred County: Essex

patchem

patchem Report 27 Mar 2017 18:58

The son to that marriage himself married in 1957, so unlikely that it is the correct family, unless 2 daughters was just a guess?

Gemma

Gemma Report 28 Mar 2017 13:37

Thank you Patchem, it looks hopeful. No information I have found yet is accurate to what my Nan has said. Does it say what his sons name was?

My Nan was staying with them and one of them was called Barbara. I would hope that that isnt wrong information!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Mar 2017 14:45

Who was Barbara. ??

Gemma

Gemma Report 28 Mar 2017 15:05

Barbara was one of the names my Nan remembers. She was apparently one of his daughters with his wife

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 28 Mar 2017 16:43

There was a Barbara O with the correct mother's maiden name born in Essex ( if above is correct marriage ) in late 1930s.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 28 Mar 2017 17:02

If the above Barbara is correct, it seems that she had 2 daughters.

They feature on someone's tree on this site......possibly one of the daughters.

Gemma

Gemma Report 28 Mar 2017 17:26

Oh wow, its amazing that you found that. Thank you Gwyn in Kent.

I will see if I can find it.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Mar 2017 08:54

If Marjorie was living in the same house wonder if you can find them on the electoral rolls

Think though they aren't searchable by name but by address at the local main library for the area