Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Paul Webb Oct. 1961, Luton

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 18 Jun 2024 17:13

Hi everyone, first time posting so sorry if I do anything wrong!

I’m looking to track down a Paul Webb (was born under a different surname - I don’t want to post too many details public in case they do not know about their early childhood).

His mother was a Gillian Mcleod (maiden name Burrell) I believe she was born Oct 1943 in Luton. She married a Derek J Webb 1944 in July 1966.

I know they lived in Luton until 1980 but I cannot find anything else since that date. I’ve searched ancestry records for all 3 people and am struggling to piece anything together.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Jun 2024 17:32

Have you look for deaths?

Are you related to these people/?

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 18 Jun 2024 17:33

My mother is related to Paul, she believes he is her brother but he was adopted. I’ve looked for deaths however cannot be sure as there are a few Paul Webbs born similar times in Luton

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Jun 2024 17:41

If he was adopted, his name won’t be Webb……. it never was

Advise your mother to put herself on the adoption contact register…….and hope, perhaps, that Paul has done the same.

If Gillian is alive, she should be able to, at least, say in which year she gave Paul up for adoption

Gillian and Derek are on the ER to 2011

Derek is there until 2021, with another son

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 18 Jun 2024 17:45

Welcome to Genes and the Boards.
If Paul ws adopted into the Webb family your mother shouldn't know his name. Your mother can register her name with the Gov Adoption agency then if her brother is also looking her details will be passed on:
https://www.gov.uk/adoption-records/the-adoption-contact-register

You ar aware of the family living in Luton until 1980. Is that because you have evidence or because you were told?

Added: Paul presumably stayed with his mother did Derek formerly adopt him, as without that Paul may have kept or reverted to his birth name.

Electoral Rolls may be your answer but nowdays one does not have to listed on the public version.

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 18 Jun 2024 17:48

Sorry I haven’t been clear. Paul was born with the surname McLeod, his father was Kenneth McLeod and birth mother Gillian Burrell. They separated and Kenneth had my mother with another woman. Gillian married Derek and he then adopted Paul (I’m unsure if it was a legal adoption or if Paul just took on his surname). They were in the electoral registry living together around the 80s in Luton.

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 18 Jun 2024 17:51

Also my mother had been told about the adoption and Gillian remarrying by Kenneth’s family so her aunts and cousins as they all lived local in Luton at the time

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Jun 2024 17:52

If Paul knew his birth father, he may prefer to use that name.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 18 Jun 2024 17:53

OK - we crossed. If you have an address look for house sales on Zoopla or Housepricesintheuk. these might tell you if thehave moved.

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 18 Jun 2024 17:54

I don’t believe Paul knew about Kenneth McLeod. Plus the registry in the 80s showed a Derek, Gillian and Paul all with the surnames Webb living in the same property

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 18 Jun 2024 17:54

I have an address, I’ll go look that up now thanks!

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Jun 2024 17:57

As I said earlier, Derek is on ER to 2021

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 18 Jun 2024 18:12

Looks like they moved to Kent - use the Search/Electoral Rolls on the top of the page enter Derek Webb , other date 2021 then Kent.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Jun 2024 18:14

If Derek and Gillian adopted Paul, it would have had to be with his birth father’s consent