Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Thomas Croston

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BrendaC

BrendaC Report 2 Feb 2015 13:33

I'm wondering if anyone can look up my g grandfather. Thomas Croston born 1862 in Liverpool. He is on war forces site, but I'm not a member. I know he was a seaman, but not what ships he sailed on. I would be grateful if anyone can find him
Thank you Brenda

Potty

Potty Report 2 Feb 2015 13:41

This could possibly be him - it will cost £3.30 to download the card:

First name(s)Thomas
Last nameCroston
Birth year1861
Birth place as transcribedLiverpool
Birth placeLiverpool
Birth countyLancashire
Birth countryEngland
Link to site
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7998714
SourceRegistry of Shipping and Seamen: Index of First World War Mercantile Marine Medals and the British War Medal
Archive referenceBT 351/1/31205

Record set
British Merchant Navy, First World War Medal Cards 1914-1925

Category
Military, armed forces & conflict

Record collection
First World War

Collections from
Great Britain

BrendaC

BrendaC Report 2 Feb 2015 14:12

Thank you for your time, Looking it up for me. Do you know how you find out what vessels he may have sailed on.?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 2 Feb 2015 14:25

You would need his full service records to find which ships he sailed on.

I can't find any records for him on Findmypast so I think his records were probably among the 70% of records that were destroyed in a fire.

The Thomas Croxton who comes up on a search of the Forces War site was in the army and not a seaman so probably not your ancestor.

Kath. x

BrendaC

BrendaC Report 2 Feb 2015 14:35

Hi Kathleen, his surname is Croston, not Croxton. I've had email off FWR they have got him on record but I don't subscribe to them..

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 2 Feb 2015 14:54

Sorry Brenda. I've just realised my mistake. I don't subscribe the that website either I'm afraid.

Kath. x

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 2 Feb 2015 19:53

I do have a sub to Forces War Records ( but certainly won't renew, it has no source information and is, quite frankly, rubbish)

These are the results:

Thomas Croston PLY/13660 Private 1918 Royal Marine Light Infantry
Thomas Croston 14767 Private 1915 Dorsetshire Regiment
Thomas Croston 530013 Leading Aircraftman 1943
Thomas Croston 530013 Aircraftman 1942
Thomas Croston 291876 Stoker 1st Class 1918
T Croston 41991 Corporal 1918 Royal Garrison Artillery

BrendaC

BrendaC Report 2 Feb 2015 21:07

Thanks for looking it up for me. I won't bother joining wfr now, if it's not very informative. :-(