Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Beware of the web-site PeoplePublicRecords

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 29 May 2010 14:16

Beware of the web-site PeoplePublicRecords dot org.

They charge $34.92 (£24) for 5 years searching in the US, Canada, UK, Australia & Ireland for many records - Birth, marriage, death, divorce etc. etc.

Sounds a good deal, but it isn't . . . . read on!

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 29 May 2010 16:26

I guess not !

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 29 May 2010 17:05

It seems too good to me, that's why I asked. Did you pay to join?

Dea

Dea Report 29 May 2010 18:11

Do you two want to put details on here of what you want to find and we could have a look 'for free' for you?

No promises but there are a lot of excellent researchers on here who perhaps could help.

Dea x

Dea

Dea Report 29 May 2010 18:22

What does Platinum membership cost and what does it give?

I am sure there are many other sites which are better value.

Dea x

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 29 May 2010 18:26

I've just had a quick look at it. Try having a search with a ridiculous name and date of birth and see if they find a result to get you to join. They seem to have information of a Donald Duck born in 1941 in Ireland!!

So in my opinion, for what it is worth, you will always get a result from the free search to wind you in.

Dea

Dea Report 29 May 2010 18:31

OOOhh Rootgatherer - I always thought he was English, and much older !!!!!!!!!!!(Tee hee)

I know what you are saying though and couldn't agree more.

Dea x

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 29 May 2010 18:40

Well Dea, How could he possibly be English or Irish for that matter with a name like Donald?

On a serious note though, it is good that Hawthorn has brought the site to the attention of people here. There are just so many sites waiting to take money from Family History reasearchers - and so often they only give information that is cheaper or even free elsewhere!

Dea

Dea Report 29 May 2010 18:43

Yes - I agree,

There are SO many 'rip off sites' - I HATE it when people get pulled in !

Not saying this is one but everyone needs to beware!!
Dea x

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 29 May 2010 18:56

Dea - Many thanks for your offer of help but there is nobody I am particularly looking for at the moment I simply thought it might be of some help in the future. I came across this site quite by accident and for some strange reason I wasn't 100% about it . . . I don't know why.

As for Donald Duck born in 1941 in Ireland . . . . well what can you say !

rootgather - Thankyou for your comment, there are so many helpful people on this site that I thought I would pass it in front of you all to see what you think. Perhaps this isn't a rip off site . . . . but who knows.

Thanks all for your replies.

BS

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 29 May 2010 19:02

Hi all,

Just reading your comments on the site Hathorn asked about. It is a rip off. A friend of mine got caught with it. It tell you of a once only member ship but not about the ongoing costs and misinformation it hands out.

It is great that it has been brought to GR members attention,

DO NOT TOUCH IT WITH A BARGE POLE. It is only a money grabbing scheme.

Vanessa

Dea

Dea Report 29 May 2010 19:12

Thanks Vanessa,

Maybe your info will stop other people being 'ripped off'.

Dea Xxx

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 29 May 2010 19:22

Vanessa - Thankyou for your posting, I did wonder about the site but now I know. I'm now pleased I brought it everyone's attention.

They also have information on a Mickey Mouse born 1400 in Australia ! !

How can we alert as many people as possible about this site?

Perhaps we can keep this posting at the top of the list for a while so other people will not be ripped off.

Dea

Dea Report 29 May 2010 19:47

OOh now Horthorn,

Mickey was NOT that old !!

I will nudge this up for you - a very important post !!

Dea x

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 30 May 2010 04:05

nudge

Wendy

Wendy Report 30 May 2010 04:32

Had to try it....I think here is some very hard evidence to make a wide berth when travelling near this site............

Preliminary Search is Working...done
Connecting to the Australia Database...successful

© SOURCE DATA EXTRACTOR: DATA SOURCES SCAN... DONE
SERVER QUERY: Records For Percivious Poovyghost
SERVER RESPONSE: Results Found

Oh, and I put in PP's birthdate as Dec 1521..think about that date

LOL, what a scam

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 May 2010 05:18

let's keep this near the top

jansmith

jansmith Report 30 May 2010 06:35

n

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 30 May 2010 06:39

SylviaIC are you able to direct these good people to your thread where you have been discussing the relative merits of GR in all its guises and Ancestry and FMP. I know it was initially in relation to the 1911 census however the info you have detailed should answer these questions.

And I add my voice of caution to those who venture onto any of these fly by nighter sites. Stick to the recommended, well known ones and do not part with any nmoney until you have had a trial of your chosen site. Either in the form of a "free trial" or the ability to purchase a few credits to have a go before you take out a membership.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 May 2010 06:47

Hi AuntyS

is this the one you mean???

1911 Census, author Alan
www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=1223266

although there is also this one

1911 Census, author Carol
www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=1223089

sylvia