Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

William and Ann Maria/Mary Boatright

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

OldYorkshireBloke

OldYorkshireBloke Report 17 Sep 2010 15:05

I have succesfully tracked back my wife's ancestors to James Boatright c1822 - 1888 born Clerkenwell London - son of William Boatright.
I am struggling to find any details of William's wife Ann Maria/Mary, and would greatly appreciate some help. I have the following information.
On James Boatright's marriage record on Ancestry in 1847 it gives his father's name as William - occupation chaser (engraver apparently). The Witnesses are William Boatright and Mary Boatright presumably his wife.
On the 1851 census I have William Boatright age 52 - occupation engraver born Hammersmith Middlesex but his Wife is shown as Ann Maria Boatright age 50 born Holloway Middlesex.
I have Ann Maria's death certificate in 1864 age 63 Widow of William Boatright - engraver. So I am confident it is the same William Boatright.
There is a death Register entry March Quarter 1858 for a William Boatright so this appears to link in with the information on the death certificate.
There is an entry on the 1841 census for a William Boatright age 40 occupation chaser living in Clerkenwell but no sign of a wife or family.
There is also an IGI birth and christening extract for 1798 for a William Boatright Ebenezer Independent Hammersmith London England, parents also William Boatright and Mary. There are also IGI extracts for several other children either side of 1798 all with the same parents.
All this makes me confident that I am dealing with the right William Boatright.

Essentially, I am stuck trying to find any information on William's wife and if there are any other children other than James. The surname spelling changes quite a lot and I have tried alsorts of combinations. It's driving me round the bend, help please.

OldYorkshireBloke

OldYorkshireBloke Report 18 Sep 2010 09:21

I put this up yesterday but have had no responses.
Does this mean nobody saw it or that nobody can find any information.
I'd be extremely grateful if someone was able to help.

Gee

Gee Report 18 Sep 2010 09:26

I think it is because its a bit converluted.

Could you split up your wording so it is more 'user' friendly please

x

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 18 Sep 2010 09:35

The 1851 referred to just for reference:

Name: William Bostinghter
Estimated birth year: abt 1799
Relation: Head
Spouse's name: Ann Maria Bostinghter
Where born: Hammersmith, Middlesex, England
Civil parish: St Luke Old Street
Ecclesiastical parish: St Luke
County/Island: Middlesex
Street Address:

Condition as to marriage:

Disability:

View image
Registration district: St Luke
Sub-registration district: City Road
ED, institution, or vessel: 17
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 11
Household Members:
Name Age
William Bostinghter 52
Ann Maria Bostinghter 50 born Holloway

Gee

Gee Report 18 Sep 2010 09:44

Who did James marry in 1847

x

Flick

Flick Report 18 Sep 2010 09:44

Too much info on your post...........

Better just to ask for the specific piece of info you seek.

I certainly wouldn't read - and digest - all you have posted, and I suspect many others feel the same

OldYorkshireBloke

OldYorkshireBloke Report 18 Sep 2010 09:53

Sorry
I was trying to be specific. Ididn't want to waste helpers' time uncovering information I had already found.

James married Clara Perryment Wood.

Thanks

Gee

Gee Report 18 Sep 2010 09:59

Yep found that marriage for James and this looks like him on the 1851

1851 England Census
about Clara Beatringle
Name: Clara Beatringle
Estimated birth year: abt 1823
Relation: Wife
Spouse's name: James Beatringle
Where born: Gerlostone, Essex, England

Civil parish: Hackney
Town: Hackney

Registration district: Hackney
Sub-registration district: Hackney
ED, institution, or vessel: 10
Household schedule number: 76
Household Members: Name Age
James Beatringle 30
Clara Beatringle 28
Clara Beatringle 3
James Beatringle 1
Charles Samuel 35

He's a brass finisher on the 1881 and the children fit. I was hoping he might have had his mother living with them!

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 18 Sep 2010 10:12

OYB,

I for one would not be critical of the amount of information that you included in your initial post.

The only comment that I would make is that line spacing between the various elements that your research has so far revealed might have made it a little bit easier to read and digest.

As you rightly say, including information about what you already know prevents wasted effort by others.

OldYorkshireBloke

OldYorkshireBloke Report 18 Sep 2010 10:12

Yes
I have James on the 1851.

I just wish I could find William's wife on the 1841 census.

I am assuming that the Mary referred to on James' marriage details is his mother, and the same person as the Ann Maria with William on the 1851 census , but they may not be I suppose.

Gee

Gee Report 18 Sep 2010 10:22

Have you got James on the 1841 census?

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 18 Sep 2010 10:25

No joy as yet in locating an Ann Maria or Mary Boatright on the 1841 or 1851 census records. James's birthplace seems to vary throughout the census records so locating him in 1841 is also difficult.

This could be him in 1841 but unfortunately if it is then no mother present:

1841:

Name: James Boatwright
Estimated birth year: abt 1821
Civil parish: St Andrew Undershaft With St Mary Axe
Hundred: London Within the Walls
Street Address:

View image
Registration district: London
Sub-registration district: London North East
Household Members:
Name Age
James Boatwright 20
Mary Webb 15
Eliza Bromley 30
Ann Davis 55

Mike *

Mike * Report 18 Sep 2010 10:38

OYB
No need to apologise for putting up "too much information"

I see that without altering anything, the replies have come in.

Sometimes it's simply a matter of time of day whether you get a response.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 18 Sep 2010 10:48

Perhaps Wiliam married again.

WILLIAM THOMAS BOATWRIGHT Pedigree
Male Family

Marriages:
Spouse: MARY DREDGE Family
Marriage: 28 JUL 1842 Old Church, Saint Pancras, London, England

Extracted marriage record for locality listed in the record.

OldYorkshireBloke

OldYorkshireBloke Report 18 Sep 2010 11:46

HI everyone

Ginny
I have a James Boatright on the 1841 census who looks a likely candidate but I'm not certain, location London St Andrew Undershaft, age 20, apprentice smith to a William Tripp.

Jonesey
I also have the James you have, I think it possibly is him.
I have William and Ann Maria on'findmypast' on the 1851 census. Hes is 52, engraver, born Hammersmith Middlesex. She is 50 born Holloway.

Mel
I wondered about this but i can't find any records for William's marriage to a Mary or Ann Maria

I have found a Mary Boatrite on the 1841 census age 50 in Marylebone St Pancras. Three Children Henry 25, Sophia, 15 James 10 so even allowing for rounding up and down of ages he looks wway too young so I assumed it's a different family.
There is an IGI birth/christening extract for James Boatwright 1826 who I believe to be from this family, parents William and Mary. It is this date, and the IGI extract for James Boatright, christening 1800, parents William and Mary that makes me believe Mary Boatrite is the wrong family.

I think there are two families with parents William and Mary.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 18 Sep 2010 15:01

I had to go out!!

Funny thing is when you do the IGI for James Boatright 1829 it is an extracted birth but you can't get up any more Boatrights to the same parents only James.

I have looked on London births and baps and the london marriage index for William and Mary/Maria but nothing.

I also looked on other peoples trees and there is nothing there either.

OldYorkshireBloke

OldYorkshireBloke Report 18 Sep 2010 18:11

sorry
Had to go out as well. This is my problem, there doesn't seem to be any likeley candidates on the 1841 census.

I have found a possible candidate for William Boatright on IGI. Birth /christening extract 1798, birth April, christening May, Hammersmith London. Parents also William and Mary.
There are also five other children between 1796 and 1808 with what look like the same parents.

patchem

patchem Report 19 Sep 2010 10:42

Louisa Boatright, born about 1800, Isleworth, is alive and well in 1861 and 1871, not yet found her on 1851 or 1841.

Added:
She is Bratwright in 1841(on ancestry), and widowed.

OldYorkshireBloke

OldYorkshireBloke Report 19 Sep 2010 13:26

Apologies for not responding, bit of an emergency. We're on springwater here and our pumping system has packed in.

Thanks for the information and I will follow this up

Rotals

Rotals Report 21 Sep 2010 13:49

Re-posting of data submitted to this thread on 18 September 2010 (deleted in error).

I haven’t been able to find Ann Maria but the following could be worth investigating further.

On 30 June 1850 a Henry William Boatright, a Bachelor of full age residing at Clerkenwell, married Eliza Aldington at St Botolph Aldersgate.

Henry’s father is shown as William Henry Boatright who was an Engraver. One of the witnesses was George Carvalho Boatright.

Per the IGI a George Ceavelho Boatright was christened on 25 Sep 1826 at Saint Peter, Liverpool. His parents were William and Louisa Boatright.

Again per the IGI, the other possible children of William and Louisa were:

William Boatright
Christening 27 Jan 1820 Lying In Hospital, Endell Street, Holborn, London

James Boatright
Christening: 8 April 1824 Saint Peter, Liverpool, Lancashire

Henry William Boatright
Christening: 8 April 1824 Saint Peter, Liverpool, Lancashire

John Boatright
Christening: 3 June 1829 Lying In Hospital, Endell Street, Holborn, London

On the IGI there is a possible marriage for a William Boatright and a Louisa Wheatright on 8 April 1819 at Saint James, Westminster, London.

Ivan

Perhaps you should be looking primarily for Louisa rather than Ann Maria who could have been William’s second wife.