Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

the 8 sons of Martha & Thomas Drinkwater

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

holamiga

holamiga Report 7 Jul 2010 12:20

My father Austin was one of the sons. My grandparents married on 17/06/1886. The only people I remember from my child hood are Uncle Joe & Auntie Kitty living in M/c possibly a daughter Kathleen.
I would dearly love to know more.
Thanks
Norma

Flick

Flick Report 7 Jul 2010 12:21

Do you have location info?

Flick

Flick Report 7 Jul 2010 12:22

????????

Births Dec 1902 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Drinkwater Austin Chorlton 8c 838

Flick

Flick Report 7 Jul 2010 12:24

1911 census - household transcription
Person: DRINKWATER, Austin
Address: 8 Burton St Gorton Lane Gorton Manchester

Cost:
You will be charged 10 credits for a transcript and 30 credits for an image, unless you have purchased a subscription for this set of records.

DRINKWATER, Thomas Head Married M 47 1864 Boiler Maker Droylsden Lanc VIEW
DRINKWATER, Martha Wife Married
24 years F 46 1865 Openshaw M/c Lanc VIEW
DRINKWATER, Robert Son Single M 20 1891 Printer Boiler Maker Bolton Lanc VIEW
DRINKWATER, David Son Single M 19 1892 Apprentice Boiler Maker Gorton Lanc VIEW
DRINKWATER, Joseph Son Single M 17 1894 Apprentice Boiler Maker Gorton Lanc VIEW
DRINKWATER, Charles Son Single M 15 1896 Apprentice Boiler Maker Gorton Lanc VIEW
DRINKWATER, Matthew Son Single M 13 1898 School Gorton Lanc VIEW
DRINKWATER, Henry Son Single M 11 1900 School Gorton Lanc VIEW
DRINKWATER, Austin Son Single M 9 1902 School Gorton Lanc VIEW

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RG number:
RG14 Piece:
23789 Reference:
RG14PN23789 RG78PN1378C RD464 SD2 ED88 SN228

Registration District:
Chorlton Sub District:
Ardwick Enumeration District:
88 Parish:
South Manchester

Address:
8 Burton St Gorton Lane Gorton Manchester County

Flick

Flick Report 7 Jul 2010 12:26

Name: Martha Drinkwater
Estimated birth year: abt 1865
Relation: Wife
Spouse's name: Thomas
Where born: Openshaw, Lancashire, England

Civil parish: Gorton
Ecclesiastical parish: Gorton St James
County/Island: Lancashire

Registration district: Chorlton
Sub-registration district: Ardwick
ED, institution, or vessel: 108
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 228
Household Members: Name Age
Thomas Drinkwater 37
Martha Drinkwater 36
Thomas Drinkwater 12
Robert Drinkwater 10
David Drinkwater 8
Joseph Drinkwater 7
Charles Drinkwater 5
Matthew Drinkwater 3
Henry Drinkwater 1

You can find their marriages etc on freebmd

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/

holamiga

holamiga Report 9 Jul 2010 12:29

Thanks

I am definitely a very raw recruit to this board. It seems that I was too general in my request, & not clear enough about info I already had, (shown below.)
I am really interested in descendants for my children & grandsons sake. Of course I am curious about ancestors too.
I have had advice from Cynthia about the board and how to use it so hopefully no more misunderstanding of my responsibilities.
Regards
Norma

Michele

Michele Report 9 Jul 2010 12:49

Hello Norma,
There is a tree on Ancestry with this family but they only have Robert Drinkwater on there. It has roberts marriage & his children plus a couple of photos regards michelle

Flick

Flick Report 9 Jul 2010 14:17

To find descendants, you need to go to freebmd website............look for marriages....then possible children.

Post-1911, there is no census info, so it's case of trawling patiently

I presume your reference to M/c means Manchester..........bear in mind that most people on here would not know that.

Always use full names for places........and include the County, as some place names occur in several.

Flick

Flick Report 9 Jul 2010 14:22

I took a quick look at freebmd.................could this be Joseph & 'Kitty'?

Marriages Sep 1919 (>99%)

Drinkwater Joseph Jones Chorlton 8c 2370
Jones Catherine Drinkwater Chorlton 8c 2370

Was the daughter perhaps not Kathleen?

Births Mar 1922 (>99%)

Drinkwater Catherine Jones Chorlton 8c 1252

Whether or not this is your uncle & family, it gives you an insight into the workings of freebmd, which I hope you will find useful.............

Happy trawling.............

holamiga

holamiga Report 9 Jul 2010 21:41

Hi Michele

Your info is really exciting, I don't have an account with Ancestry. I would be delighted with anything you can give me.
Regards
Norma

holamiga

holamiga Report 9 Jul 2010 21:47

Thanks for the M/c advice. Got a better sense of the potential size of the community now.

holamiga

holamiga Report 9 Jul 2010 22:08

This sounds very promising. I had assumed that Kitty was a derivative of Kathleen , why not Catherine, could I be so lucky? Everything has been hanging on finding Joe and Kitty because I actually met them in my childhood. Proof positive so difficult with so little to go on. Joseph is missing from the family in the 1911 census, will check dates now. My physical disabilities mean that I have to take long brakes from pc work.
I couldn't make out who FLICK is can you explain.
Regards
Norma

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 9 Jul 2010 22:36

Hi Norma. Flick is the person who gave you the info about the Joseph and Catherine marriage. ;)

What she was suggesting was that you do what all of us do -- search at FreeBMD for marriages of the children shown in the 1911 census household.

This is where you search:

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

The children would have been marrying in the period from 1911 to 1940 so their marriages should have been transcribed there by now (it is advancing steadily forward into the 20th century).

So pick one of their names and search for a marriage in Lancashire in that time period. The names won't be too common, hopefully.

Once you know the spouse's name, you can search for births, by specifying the surname and the mother's surname.

It's not easy to understand the instructions unless you go there and just give it a go, and once you do, you'll catch on. ;)

And for the potential size of the community -- I'm in Canada, with all grandparents born in England, and somebody introduced me to FreeBMD about 7 years ago when I hadn't a clue!

Best way to get the hang of this place is to browse. If you go to Trying to Find and see, at the top, something like "to view the entire trying to find board again, *click here*" -- then click there. I think you are probably looking at only the tiny corner of Trying to Find that relates to a particular surname, Drinkwater, but the rest of us are reading the whole thing, and that's where you'll get a real feel for it. Just read a few threads (including the ones with tips for posting).

Then anytime you want to find your own thread again, just click on "My threads" over on the left side. (And when anyone else who has posted in your thread does that, we'll see whenever there is something new added, because it will pop to the top of our long, long lists.)

holamiga

holamiga Report 9 Jul 2010 22:46

I shall print your advice as a ready reference.
This will give me a more disciplined approach. I do get very excited and impatient. Don't know how long I've got to get the job done lol
Many thanks.
Norma

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 9 Jul 2010 22:50

Don't hesitate to post your findings, or lack thereof, back in the thread.

If you find marriages but the children's births haven't been transcribed at FreeBMD yet, those of us who subscribe to Ancestry (gazillions of us) can search in the indexes transcribed there.

That's where it would get into living people, so the info would be sent to you by private message rather than posted here.

And if you just can't get the hang of FreeBMD, or find anything, ask again, no prob.

One thing I didn't mention, forgetting how new a newbie can be -- when you find a marriage, you click on the page number of the record to see who the person married (after 1911 it will specify the surname of the spouse in the list).

Flick

Flick Report 9 Jul 2010 22:55

Norma

If you refer back to the 1911 census, you will see that Joseph IS with the family.......aged 17

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 9 Jul 2010 22:56

I'm going to go ahead and give you a bit more of a hand. This is the only Matthew Drinkwater marriage 1915-1925:

Marriages Mar 1921
Arnold Edith Drinkwater Chorlton 8c 1959
Drinkwater Matthew Arnold Chorlton 8c 1959

(8c is the volume number where it's recorded, 1959 is the page number)

Then if you search for Drinkwater births with mother Arnold, you will find four of them.

edit -- Oops, I figured Flick had gone to bed by now so wouldn't mind me butting in. ;)

I'm at a loose end so I will trace the children of Matthew Drinkwater forward and send you info about any living descendants I find.

holamiga

holamiga Report 9 Jul 2010 23:08

Hello Janey
I could just stay up all night now with all this expertise. I thought I did have the hang of the FreeBMD. The last info good to know, note taken.
ps I only came to geneology in the first place to try and find for my dear friend some info re her birth mother, and gave up 4 years ago. Now I feel much more confident that in time I may give her a gift of connection. Now it is my son who is pushing me and I understand why.
Norma

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 9 Jul 2010 23:09

The other thing a newbie needs to be reminded of sometimes -- "Search Trees" (the button up in the top row) can be the best tool here once you have names.

Now that you have the names and approximate birthdates of all of Austin's siblings, you can search to see whether they are in anyone's tree here at GR (make the birthdate "plus or minus" 5 years, since sometimes people don't know the real birthdate of an ancestor). If you find any, you can click to send a message to the tree owner.

holamiga

holamiga Report 9 Jul 2010 23:14

I just can't believe my good fortune.
Will I be able to keep with you all, you work at the speed of sound to my mind.
Many, many thanks.
Norma