Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I am trying to find

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence

Florence Report 18 Jun 2010 18:33

I am trying to trace my grandmother's family, her father was John Foster Ellis, his parents were Dorothy Foster and ??? Ellis. Dorothy Foster was a member of the Foster family of Black Dyke Mills and they lived in Queensbury. My grandmother had two brothers and a cousin named Frank Ellis who went to Toronto and I believe opened some large shop there. They returned back to this country and I am trying to find out anything I can about any relatives.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 18 Jun 2010 18:58

need some dates here Forence

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 18 Jun 2010 19:05

Also some places. Where's Black Dyke Mills? Where's Queensbury?

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 18 Jun 2010 19:08

Guess this is their son, born Queenbury, Yorkshire.

ELLIS
John Edward
Private 25888, 1st Battalion, Lincolnshire Regiment. Killed in action 11th April 1917. Aged 39. Born Queenbury, Yorkshire, enlisted Lincoln. Son of John Foster Ellis and Sarah Ellis, of Bradford, Yorks.; husband of Ada Alice Ellis (nee Enderby), of 4, San Francisco Terrace, Spilsby Rd., Boston, Lincs. Buried in WANCOURT BRITISH CEMETERY, Pas de Calais, France. Special memorial 60. See also Lincoln Memorial

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 18 Jun 2010 19:22

1891 census
3 Chapel St., Cleckheaton, Yorkshire
John Foster Ellis, head, 45, linen draper, born Yorks, Horbury
Sarah, wife, 41, born Staffs, Wednesbury
Jas. Phillip, son, 14, born Yorks, Dewsbury
John Edward, son, 13, born "
Eli, son, 9 months, born Yorks, Cleckheaton
Sarah Lizzie, dau, 12, born Yorks, Queensbury
Francis Hodgson Ellis, nephew, 11, born Yorks, Luddendenport?

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 18 Jun 2010 19:26

In 1871 John Ellis, 25, born Horbury, single, linen draper is living alone in Leeds.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 18 Jun 2010 19:36

1851 census
Upper street, Osset cum Gawthorpe, Yorkshire
Thos. Foster, head, 25, woollen manufacturer
Arthur Ellis, nephew, 6
John Ellis, nephew, 5
Jane Ellis, 43, no relationship given, servant
All born Horbury except Jane born Heaford, Lancs.

Florence

Florence Report 20 Jun 2010 07:11

Hi Ann, The only dates I have is that my grandmother was born in 1879. I am new to the site and didn't realise I needed to stick around. My apologies and thank you for your help

Florence

Florence Report 20 Jun 2010 07:18

Hi Margaret, it certainly looks like these are my ancestors. I also forgot to mention my grandmothers sister Florence Ellis.
Thank you very much for your help

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 20 Jun 2010 08:57

As I like looking up 1911, found this, though maybe not too interesting!

ELLIS, John Foster Head Widower M 65 1846 Grocer Yorks Horbury VIEW
ELLIS, James Phillip Son Single M 34 1877 Grocer And Baker Yorks Dewsbury VIEW
RG number:
RG14 Piece:
26755 Reference:
RG14PN26755 RG78PN1540 RD498 SD2 ED36 SN84

Registration District:
Bradford Sub District:
Bradford Central Enumeration District:
36 Parish:
Bradford

Address:
409 Harewood St Bfd County:
Yorkshire (West riding)

Janet

Janet Report 20 Jun 2010 17:19

What a brilliant family to belong to. There is a definite North /South divide on these boards today. LOL. First on Records someone who thinks that Northerners didn't have photographs taken in days gone by and now someone not knowing Black Dyke Mills.....ay up- wots the world comin to??- only joking........JLe

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 20 Jun 2010 17:31

Ay up, Janet, are you making fun of this Canadian because she's never heard of Black Dyke Mills? It's not just a North/South divide. Some of us have an ocean between us!

Janet

Janet Report 20 Jun 2010 17:46

Hi Margaret- thanks for taking it in the right spirit ..... but just for the record Black Dyke Mills Brass Band is world famous......honest-JLe

Florence

Florence Report 20 Jun 2010 19:57

Thank you all, It would be a brilliant family to belong to if my grandmother was correct in what she said. I think that the history goes back to 1798 when John foster was born. He married Ruth Briggs in 1819. The eldest son was William and he was born in 1821. A lot of information on the Black Dyke Mills Site but the birth and deaths link doesn't work. So I understand that the next son was six years younger so I think that this is Thos Foster who was 25 in the 1851 census. The thing is I haven't found any mention of Dorothy yet and I believe she was my grandmother's fathers mother. John Foster Ellis would have been a widower at about 65 as his wife had a stroke and my grandmother looked after her and the others.

Janet

Janet Report 21 Jun 2010 21:30

Hi Florence
Seems quiet on this quest. Have you considered getting the birth cert for John as there is one on freebmd. I can't find one for Arthur at the minute.
John _oster Ellis ref 22 648 December qtr 1845 Wakefield. Whilst I don't doubt your information could be correct it may just be better to ensure the facts by ordering his birth certificate. On the 1841 there are lots of Ellis's living in Horbury which is covered by Alverthorpe for some reason. -JLe

Janet

Janet Report 21 Jun 2010 22:05

How about this, if we imagine the information on Dorothy was not 100%. Thomas Giles Foster christened Horbury 10 Jan 1826 has a sister called Caroline Milnes Foster chr Horbury 2 Oct 1823. She marries James Ellis in Wakefield in Mar qtr 1842. Caroline Ellis dies in Dewsbury ( Ossett) in Sept 1847. A choice of two James Ellis's dies in Wakefield in 1849 and another in 1850 leaving their two children to live with Caroline's brother Thomas Foster. Right age and right area. The Jane Ellis might have been James's sister in law even though she was entered as a servant. I know it might be stretching it but I cannot find any Dorothy Foster in the right area of West Yorkshire in the Halifax area or the Wakefield.-JLe

Florence

Florence Report 22 Jun 2010 10:29

Janet your are absolutely brilliant. Dorothy was not correct but Caroline is my sister found some information which she got from my grandmother when she was 85 and that ties in with what she was told.

Janet

Janet Report 22 Jun 2010 12:58

Hi Florence
Glad I could be of some help. If you want to pursue familysearch you will find extra siblings and Caroline's parents George and Hannah. The second name of Milnes should be another help to tracing a previous generation. -JLe

Florence

Florence Report 22 Jun 2010 16:57

Hi again Janet
Can't be the right one as my Phillip James Ellis and Caroline Foster according to my grandmother had 7 children - Adelaide, Caroline, George, John Foster, Walter, Fred and Sam. Again all in that same area.
I am starting to get very confused now.

Janet

Janet Report 22 Jun 2010 18:06

....sorry...back to the drawing board-JLe