Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

relavtives of john holroyd org from bolton

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Donna

Donna Report 4 Feb 2010 22:49

my grandad was org from bolton his parents lived there but org from ireland i no my grandad ad brothers who lived in the horwich area any info would be appreciated as i no that i have got cousions out there that i have never met many thanks for reading this message

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 4 Feb 2010 23:48

Hi Mosely -- I can't find any record of a John H Org being born, marrying or dying in England, anywhere ever.

Can you give a little more info -- his approximate date of birth, when he died, who his wife was?

Do you know your granddad's brothers' names? Are they deceased?

Finding their marriages would make it possible to find their children's names, and so on.

Just needs a little more information to start with.

Cassidy

Cassidy Report 4 Feb 2010 23:57

Hi,I think you mean John Holroyd originally from Bolton..yes ?

Do you know what year he was born ?

Cass

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 4 Feb 2010 23:59

Well ... no wonder ...

Usually I'm good at deciphering.

It isn't needed if we capitalize people's names the way they tell us to do when we're very young!

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 5 Feb 2010 22:32

For Mark - just this once because it was such a very nice PM - I'll copy it here. ;) (I'll just space it out some so it's easier to follow -- that's the "enter" key.)

-------------------------------------

hi there oh i hope u do not think i am rude but when i put org it was meant to be orignally

his name was john holroyd born 1901/02 february died 1993

i no he had brothers but do not no there names

he was married to coleanna sweeney she came from wakefield,

hope this helps, i have details of his parents and his grandparents but i would really like to know more of where he lived and his family that he left behind many many thanks

-------------------------------------

Now this time, the thing to do (not that there's anything here to show you that) is click on the purple Reply button, which opens the invisible reply box, so your message goes in this thread instead of to my inbox.

It helps tremendously if you tell *us* what *you* know. Like his parents' names. That way we can be sure it's the right person if we search in the 1911 census to see him with his family:

http://www.1911census.co.uk/search/tnaform.aspx

You can also get his accurate year of birth, and probably find his parents' marriage, at FreeBMD:

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

The big question though is what you really want to know, when you say "his family that he left behind". That's his siblings and their families?

Tell us his parents' names and we should be able to find the household in 1911. Also, if you search at FreeBMD for Holroyd births with mother "X" (the surname of his mother that you haven't said) you can find any children born after 1911.

Now, post away!

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 5 Feb 2010 22:38

Hmm, first problem - there's no marriage of a John Holroyd to Coleanna Sweeney, or any Sweeney around the right time.

I wanted to find the marriage so I knew his middle initial for matching with a birth.

Is Coleanna actually a name?

I'm having no luck at all. No John Holroyd death in 1993.

Was this not in England/Wales, the marriage and death?

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 5 Feb 2010 22:47

Okay, in 1911 we have a John Holroyd to match in Horwich:

HOLROYD JOHN 1902 9 Bolton Lancashire

These others appear to be in the household:

HOLROYD ALBERT 1870 41
HOLROYD MARGARET JANE 1872 39
HOLROYD ALBERT 1895 16
HOLROYD MARGARET 1897 14
HOLROYD WILLIAM 1900 11
HOLROYD SUSAN 1907 4

Is that the right parents?

Donna

Donna Report 5 Feb 2010 23:05

got the inbox right

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 5 Feb 2010 23:07

Nope, Mark, this time you have to DIY!

The thing is, nobody but me can see what you send me by private message (when you click on my name). And then I have to go hunting back on the board for your thread to connect up the info. If you add a message to the thread instead, it's all together in one place.

So nope -- *you* add it here!

Just click the purple REPLY button up at the top of the thead, the box will open, put the info there, and click Submit.

and do please use that "enter" key at the end of sentences -- see how much easier it is to follow with some white space thrown in?

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 5 Feb 2010 23:08

Ah, we crossed in the post. ;)

Okay, now add the info here -- and I may have to beg off til tomorrow, it's 6 pm here in Canuckistan, and I'm starving!

Donna

Donna Report 5 Feb 2010 23:08

he died in 1983 november because he died at my parents house where i was living at the time and i no he definetley born in 1901/1902

Donna

Donna Report 5 Feb 2010 23:21

hi again

i am so sorry i did not realise your time where you were....

it is nearly half eleven here so i will be calling it a night shortly and i will be getting all information out in the morning bet you wished you had never
replied back to me

many thanks and enjoy your meal

Donna

Donna Report 5 Feb 2010 23:23

hi

he was born 1901/1902 had brothers that lived with him too

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 5 Feb 2010 23:23

Mark ...

(a) Your PM to me said 1993, not 1983. Next tip: proofread!

(b) ** What are his parents' names??? **

(c) Is the 1911 household I posted the correct one - are those his parents?

(d) Have you tried searching for children born after 1911 at FreeBMD as I described?

Oops - you posted more in the interim - but still haven't given that info!

No fear, we'll just make you a project. ;)

... Okay, still finding no John Holroyd death anytime around 1983 -- ??

-- Nope! That was me being a moron. I was looking for the death of a John Holroyd born in 1983, not the death of a John Holroyd in 1983 ...

Name: John Holroyd
>>> Birth Date: 3 Feb 1902
Death Registration Month/Year: 1983
Registration district: Wakefield
Inferred County: West Yorkshire
Volume: 5
Page: 1560

Donna

Donna Report 5 Feb 2010 23:25

the address that you posted was correct

i will be looking on the other internet site tomorrow moring to check as well

the name of his parents are also correct

thank you

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 5 Feb 2010 23:29

Aha. I figured searching for other Holroyd deaths in Wakefield around the same time might do this trick.

Name: Colena Holroyd
Birth Date: 21 Mar 1912
Death Registration Month/Year: 1983
Inferred County: West Yorkshire
Volume: 5
Page: 1283

marriage

Name: Colena Martin
Spouse Surname: Holroyd
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1931
Registration county (inferred): Yorkshire - West Riding
Volume Number: 9c
Page Number: 171

So she was previously married? It would seem unusual since she married at 19 ...

Still can't find her birth - not that you were asking, just to get the big picture.

Donna

Donna Report 5 Feb 2010 23:32

JOHN HOLROYD WAS BORN 3RD FEBRUARY 1902

DIED 1983 IN WAKEFIELD

WIFE COLENA MARTIN BORN 21/3/1912 IN WAKEFIELD

DIED 9TH APRIL 1983 IN WAKEFIELD

JOHN HOLROYDS PARENTS

ALBERT HOLROYD BORN 1870 IN PRESTON MARRIED IN 1891 TO

MARGARET JANE CLARK WHO WAS BORN 1872 IN MANCHESTER DIED IN WAKEFIELD

HOPE THIS HELPS A BIT BETTER THANK YOU

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 5 Feb 2010 23:35

Helps considerably - except that you don't want to start using all capitals because it feels like being shouted at. ;)

You did say her name was COLEANNA, you see, not COLENA.

So you have the info to go hunting for siblings born after 1911 -- the 1911 census shows the ones born before that.

You may need paid access to Ancestry to find the siblings' marriages and children, and that's where we'll come back in to help.

Donna

Donna Report 5 Feb 2010 23:38

caps off

you are so fast i will get onto it in the morning no doubt i wil try and get in touch again sorry do you think that c. holroyd was married before?

Donna

Donna Report 6 Feb 2010 22:14

hi there

many thanks for all your help yesterday i am now trying to find john holroyd's siblings wish me luck

kind regards
mark