Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mary Holmes

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jean

Jean Report 27 Apr 2010 00:38

I think I am asking for a miracle this time, but thought I would at least try.I have just purchased the birth cert. of Thomas Holmes born at 31 Horace Street in 1838. in Marylebone. Reason for buying this cert was to enable me to find out his mother (Mary Holmes) maiden name. But due to the poor writing, although I can make the rest of the details, I cannot make out his mother maiden name. I wondered if there was anyway I could send a copy to this site and maybe somebody else may be able to make out the name. Or Am I asking to much this time. Fingers crossed.

Regards.

Jean Ziggy

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 27 Apr 2010 01:04

Hey Jean! That would probably be complicated (I actually have no clue -- but it might mean giving everybody access to your tree) -- but if you have it scanned, you could send it to people individually by email. We do that here from time to time.

I'll start, I'll PM you my email address. For your eyes only. ;)

Then just attach the scanned file to an email and send it on and I'll take a peek.

Anybody else who wants to sign up can too.

Oops, I'm as bad as a blinkered newby here - made that offer and now I'm leaving the keyboard. I see you haven't opened the PM so you've probably wandered off too. By the time I get back, somebody will have figured it out!

Jean

Jean Report 27 Apr 2010 01:29

No I was just looking up some old names on the internet but didn't solve my problem. Thanks a million for offering to try to help. I am now going to post that info on to you.

Cheers
Jean Ziggy

Wendy

Wendy Report 27 Apr 2010 02:17

Jean, do you have the marriage place and date, and/or Thomas snr. date and place of birth?
Might help with a search.
Cheers

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 27 Apr 2010 02:43

Looks like the parents were born in Ireland c1800.

Rose

Dea

Dea Report 27 Apr 2010 07:58

I would also be happy to take a look Jean, If you haven't got it sorted yet?

I will pm you my e-mail address.

Dea x

Jean

Jean Report 27 Apr 2010 12:04

Yes I do realise they came from Ireland but haven't been able to trace anything there. Ireland is difficult to find anything. If I could find her maiden name I would be more than pleased. I am forwarding a copy of b.cert. to you and thank-you so ,much for offering to help.

regards

Jean Ziggy

Dea

Dea Report 27 Apr 2010 12:28

Hi Jean,

Just received the cert and on initial examination the name looks like Brootom / Brooton.

I am certain of most of the letters, having compared them with the other writing on the cert. - I am not completely certain of the 'r' and the final 'm' could possibly be a 'n'.

I will have another look.

Dea x

Dea

Dea Report 27 Apr 2010 12:48

Having studied it further I am now quite convinced the name is BROOTON.

What do others think?

Dea x

P.S. - The deleted message above was me - my post came up twice for some strange reason.

Dea x

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 27 Apr 2010 12:51

I'm with BROOTON.

The other vertical line just before the N is the long tale of the Y in "formerly" right above the name. It cuts between the O and N at the end of Brooton (and has a loop at the bottom of it).

The cross on the T in Brooton is just like in Thirtieth in the "When registered" coloumn.

In the 1841 there are a few Brootons and Brootens in the census.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 27 Apr 2010 14:07

She signed the birth cert with her mark, so the surname might very well have been what the registrar heard - good marriage possibility.

The household in 1841:

Name: Thos Holmes
Estimated birth year: abt 1839
Where born: Middlesex, England

Civil parish: St Marylebone

Thos Holmes 40
Mary Holmes 40
John Holmes 14
Hanh Holmes 12
James Holmes 8
Mary Holmes 6
Jane Holmes 4
Thos Holmes 2

So they had indeed been married some time. Eldest child born c1826. So the 1825 marriage is perfect.

Thomas Sr and Mary born Ireland, eldest child born Middlesex, so a Middlesex marriage is also good.

Jean

Jean Report 27 Apr 2010 14:11

Yes. I think I gambled on the wrong sons b cert maybe one of the other childrens cert might have clearer writting on.

Thanks everybody for you help.

regards
Ziggy

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 27 Apr 2010 14:17

The thing is it really does say BROOTON, no guess there. It's just that Mary didn't know how to write her name, and that's what the registrar heard. Remember, she was Irish. ;)

Dea

Dea Report 27 Apr 2010 14:40

BROOTON it Is !! Janey.

I have to say, the marriage also looks good, SO..... either her name was mis-written on the marriage cert, or on the birth cert.

OR.. It is a different marriage and 'our' couple were married in Ireland??

Either way, we will probably never know.

Dea x

Jean

Jean Report 27 Apr 2010 18:28

Yes . its very frustrating I even thought of sending for one of the younger childrens birth cert but then I realised that they have to be born from sept 1837 to get info so that was out of the question. Do you ever think that you are not meant to know something. It drives me mad. Yes and even thought maybe the registrar couldn't spell

Thanks for all the help you have all given me.

Cheers Ziggy

Jean

Jean Report 27 Apr 2010 18:30

What do you think I might find out if I send for the marriage cert. ??????

Jean

Jean Report 27 Apr 2010 18:43

Oh!!!!! Just realised theres no way of finding out the entery on a marriage register. So I cannot even do that. What a nightmare.

Dea

Dea Report 27 Apr 2010 18:48

Do you have access to Ancestry? If so, you can view the marriage cert on there!

It does say BURTON but again, she made her mark and the official wrote down what he heard!

Dea x

Ann

Ann Report 27 Apr 2010 20:25

hi

I have looked at the marriage on anceste=ry and gone right in close to the name and it looks like Burton to me. It is definately BU at the beginning not a r

hope this helps
Ann

Jean

Jean Report 27 Apr 2010 22:41

no I dont have access to ancestry. does ancestry give you the ref. for the marriage certficate. If so i would be able to order it.