Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Canada lookup?

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sophie

Sophie Report 9 Nov 2010 23:15

Hello all I am trying to find my gg grandfather. My g grandmother was sent to canada in 1902. I have just got the barnados records and she was homed with Mrs WH PRATT Malakoff Ontario. Whilst there she got pregnant by Archie Maloney another boy employed by Mrs Pratt, English and sent by the salvation army (I think hard to read)

Was wondering if anyone had access to canaian census to see if he stayed in Canada??

Any help would be great thanks

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 10 Nov 2010 00:47

Canadian censuses are only accessible up to 1911 (1916 for parts of Western Canada) -- you can access the 1901 and 1911 free of charge at

www.automatedgenealogy.com

You can also search at Ancestry.ca and see basic results without paying.

There's no record of Arch* Malon* among Child Migrants:

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/home-children/001015-100.01-e.php

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 10 Nov 2010 00:51

There's no marriage in Ontario for an Archie Maloney

http://search.ancestry.ca/search/db.aspx?dbid=7921

Never heard of Malakoff myself, but google maps tells me it's only about 20 miles south of Ottawa, to help anyone else pondering this. ;)

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 10 Nov 2010 00:59

A quick search on Ancestry shows an Archie Malony, wife Lizzie, in Gaspé, Quebec, dob 1880. There's also an Archibald Malone in Nova Scotia, dob 1873. If you find them via automatedgenealogy, it will give place of birth etc.

But no, both of them are in the same places in 1901, so it seems doubtful that's them.

mgnv

mgnv Report 10 Nov 2010 01:50

I would guess Malakoff was abt 40 m S of Ottawa - also, I think it would be in Carleton Co back then.

I don't know if Mrs WH Pratt is her initials or his - if the latter, then this might be relevant:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~snaylor/OntarioGraveMarkers/Rideau/Malakoff/P7100213.JPG

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 10 Nov 2010 13:21

I'd had a quick look at AG and Malakoff seems to come under Marlborough in Carleton County in 1911. There were several Pratts in the first part of Marlborough (I think there were 4 parts) but I had to run last night and I had to again today!

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 10 Nov 2010 23:26

?

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 10 Nov 2010 23:34

Oh well, at a loose end.

1901 per automatedgenealogy.com

Pratt William H M Head M Aug 28 1865 35
Pratt Edith E. F Wife M Jan 11 1865 36
Pratt Lidda E. F Daughter S Feb 8 1899 2
Kilfoile Howard M Domestic S Dec 1 1882 18

Pratt William H. M Head M Aug 1865 45
Pratt Edith E. F Wife M Jan 1865 46
Pratt Liddie C. F Daughter S Feb 1889 12
Pratt Leslie N M Son S 1907 4
Pratt Sarah F Sister S May 1857 54
Mullen Thomas M Domestic S Jun 1898 23
>> edit - that is what it says at automatedgenealogy: 1898/23 -- I think he's "Thomas Mateen" at Ancestry (mistranscribed) and it says 1888.

No Archie either year.

Looks like a pretty classic case of exploited child/youth labour with a good turnover, though.

So yes, the gravestone that mgnv linked to is the couple in question. (A woman was and is always "Mrs William X", not "Mrs Edith X", unless divorced and retains her husband's surname or widowed and prefers the latter.)

Just thinking -- it would certainly have helped to know when the pregnancy happened, rather than just when your gr-grandmother was sent to Canada.

Also, you refer to your gr-grmother but to Archie as your gr-gr-grfather - ?

If the birth was before 1911, it will be in Ontario births at Ancestry.ca and there could be information about Archie in that record. However, I don't see a birth with an Arch* Malon* as father (except one for Archibald Wier Malone who seems to be ruled out from his WWI attestation), so probably he wasn't shown on the birth registration, I assume.

Sophie

Sophie Report 11 Nov 2010 22:09

thanks for the help on this sorry for the late reply my subscription expired and wouldn't let me renew! anyway I am back now!

So all the records say are my Great grandmother was sent to Canada in 1902. She went to Knowlton then to a few other places as a home child. She was staying with the pratts when she got pregnant in 1907. Mrs Pratt confronted her about "being in trouble" and she confessed that the English boy "Archie Maloney" was the culprit.

The family sent her to the home for friendless girls in Ottawa to have my grandmother. She stayed there with the baby and refused to give her up. Archies name is not on the birth cert. DOB 15/3/1908 Ruby Victoria Wilson is my Grandmother.

Because she refused to give up the baby they sent her back to England.

Sophie

Sophie Report 11 Nov 2010 22:12

The family story was that the father was a canadian guy of danish decent who owned a copper mine. I have looked for farms in Malakoff and can't see any copper mines!

There was also a picture in my grandmothers possessions of a factory with black railings which apparently the father owned??

Obviously this could have been complete fantasy.

Either way my grandmother and gr grandmother returned to Liverpool in 1909 where they stayed

Sophie

Sophie Report 11 Nov 2010 22:14

Incedently I have just been looking for variations on the maloney name and I've found a guy also born in Liverpool Archibald David Maurice Malone 1893. He went to Canada and was in the Canadian army. It says something in the records about Sal army but could this have been CAN army?

Teresa

Teresa Report 11 Nov 2010 23:01

For Info

Ontario, Canada Births, 1869-1911
about Ruby Victoria Wilson
Name: Ruby Victoria Wilson
Date of Birth: 15 Mar 1908
Birth County: Carleton
Father's name: Marge Wilson ****image says Margt
Archives of Ontario Microfilm: MS929_4

Teresa

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 12 Nov 2010 00:00

I can assure you -- there are no copper mines in Carleton County. ;) Of course, a person who owned a mine would not necessarily live where it was.

Sophie, if you want someone to help check into this Archibald David Maurice Malone, you really have to tell us what these records are that you're looking at.

I also have been looking into any surname starting with Malon.

I don't think someone born in 1893 is the best candidate for being the father of a child born in early 1908, but that 1893 could be inaccurate.

Nope, this is him:

Births Sep 1893
Malone Archibald David M Toxteth Park 8b 225

So he would have been not yet 14 when your grandmother was conceived.

How old was your gr-grandmother when Ruby was born?

Home Children records have no Margaret Wilson entering Canada after 1893.

WILSON RUBY 1908 3 West Derby Lancashire (born Canada)
but living with:
WILSON ALICE 1892 19
WILSON CHARLES 1910 9 MONTHS

?

Surname: WILSON
Given Name: Alice
Sex: F
Ship: Dominion
Year of Arrival: 1902
Departure Port: Liverpool
Departure Date: 01 May 1902
Arrival Port: Quebec
Arrival Date: 11 May 1902
Destination: Toronto
Source: Library and Archives Canada
Reference: RG76 C 1 a
Microfilm: T-480
Type of Record: Passenger Lists
Group of Children Traveling Together

http://data2.archives.ca/cef/gpc010/478837a.gif

attestation paper for

Archie David Malone born 4 August 1893, occupation farmer, next of kin JAE Malone address Adelphi Theatre, Strand, London, Eng.

I'd chuckled at that one before because my gr-grfather's sister was in the cast at the Adelphi Threatre in 1870-71.

He enrolled at Edmonton, Alberta. He said he had served in a military force, but no particulars given.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 12 Nov 2010 00:20

Google

"JAE Malone" "Adelphi Theatre"

http://www.archive.org/stream/whoswhoinmusic005278mbp/whoswhoinmusic005278mbp_djvu.txt

"Who's Who in Music" 1913

MOODY, Hilda (Mrs. J. A. E. Malone), vocalist and actress;
m. J. A. E. Malone, manager at Daly's Theatre

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Patricia_Malone

Patricia "Pat" Malone (1899 - 1971) was an English stage actress.

Pat Malone was the daughter of a London theatrical director, Captain J.A.E. Malone (d. 1928) and she began acting at an early age. She married actor/comedian/singer Bobby Howes and they had two children, the actress Sally Ann Howes and the musician Peter Howes. Her brother, Pat Malone, was also an actor and appeared on stage, TV, and film. Her grandfather, Joseph Malone, was awarded the Victoria Cross in 1854 during the Crimean War.

That Archie doesn't really sound like he was being sent off as a child migrant.

Marie Malone 36 - married
Marie K Malone 16
Alice A Malone 11
Archibald D Malone 7 - born Liverpool
Ethel E Rollen 23 - cook, domestic

Town: Acton
County/Island: Middlesex

mgnv

mgnv Report 12 Nov 2010 01:08

Sophie - this looks like the guy you just mentioned:

From a lookup up at:
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/001042-100.01-e.php

Name: MALONE, ARCHIE DAVID
Regimental number(s): 436692
Reference: RG 150, Accession 1992-93/166, Box 5876 - 43
Date of Birth: 04/08/1893
[his pob=Manchester - nok is father JAE Malone at Adelphi Theatre, Strand, London
A farmer, he enlisted at Edmonton 30/1/1915 ]

1901 England Census
Civil Parish: Acton
Ecclesiastical parish: Bedford Park St Michael and All Angels
Town: Acton
County/Island: Middlesex
Street address: 27 Woodstock Rd
Registration district: Brentford
Sub-registration district: Acton
ED, institution, or vessel: 24
Household schedule number: 178

Marie Malone 36 Shrewsbury, Essex, England Head M
Marie K Malone 16 Liverpool, Lancashire, England Daughter S
Alice A Malone 11 Liverpool, Lancashire, England Daughter S
Archibald D Malone 7 Liverpool, Lancashire, England Son
Ethel E Rollen 23 Occold, Suffolk, England Servant S Cook Domestic

Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 1205; Folio: 76; Page: 29.

[Now, just about opposite Turnham Green Tube Station]

EDIT So this info is already posted in part - I got side-tracked watching the TV. I'll leave it and apologize for the duplication.

Sophie

Sophie Report 12 Nov 2010 17:43

My Great Grandmother is on the home child register

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~britishhomechildren/cw.htm

am not sure if 14 is too young to father a child? she was pregnant in 1907 aged 16 and they were both from liverpool if Archibald David Malone is the father??

Sophie

Sophie Report 12 Nov 2010 17:49

why didn't Barnardos ask for a date of birth for this "archie maloney" to at least make it easy for me to look up!

Can anyone see any other trace of this archilbald david malone in canada after he enrolled in the army??

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 12 Nov 2010 18:12

Well, here's an intereting one. It's about the jail in Simcoe, southwest of Toronto.

"However, the most stunning charges came in 1908 when the chief of police, Archibald Malone, was himself locked up, charged with attempting to kill his constable, William Wilkins. ... While Wilkins returned to England, Malone was released to enlist in the First World War."

He doesn't seem to be in the WWI attestation records at collectionscanada.

Your Archie wouldn't have been a chief of police in 1908. ;) But I'm not finding anything about him.

I do just find it not credible that the Archibald David Maurice Malone whose next of kin was Captain JAE Malone, luminary of the musical theatre, would have been sent to Canada as a home child.

Actually, here he is travelling to Canada with JAE:

MALONE A D M Unknown M 1911 Bristol Canada Montreal
MALONE J A E Unknown M 1911 Bristol Canada Montreal
MALONE Unknown F 1911 Bristol Canada Montreal

So I'd say that rules him out.

Sophie

Sophie Report 12 Nov 2010 18:35

this thing has just wiped out my reply!

this police guy prob isn't him, would he be working on a farm in the middle of nowhere?

Interesting though there was a guy in jail called archie maloney in one of the english census but he was too old to be my great grandfather :(

the records say "the boy entered her room at night and ruined her. He wrote distasteful letters to Margaret which she showed to the Pratts. He turned up to see her but was sent away by the family"

Agggghhhhh

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 12 Nov 2010 18:44

So hard to say, isn't it? Any young woman who admitted being a willing participant would have suffered even direr consequences ... the "distatesful letters" could have been mash notes, and not unwelcome.

But young women in Margaret's position were certainly (as they are today) in terribly vulnerable positions and easily preyed upon, for sure. She never spoke about it, I suppose?

No, I don't imagine the police guy was him. ;) I wonder whether he too was sent back to England, if nobody would take him on after that incident?